S(he) Be(lie)ved

S(he) Be(lie)ved

Prologue

            I look up, underneath my lashes to see his beautiful smiling face.  “I love you,” he whispers sincerely, looking down at me with green eyes filled with love.

            That was the first time I heard those words.  The first time I let hope fill my heart.  And the last time I’d ever let myself trust someone.

Chapter 1

            “Come on Amia, you promised!” my best friend, Kendra, says, huffing.  I sigh while biting my lip.

            “You know I can’t roller skate Kendra,” I whine as she pressures me to put on some skates outside a local park.  She juts out her lower lip and gives me her famous brown eyed puppy dog look.  I let out a laugh.  “And here I thought you were twenty!”  She huffs and stomps her foot while crossing her arms.

            “Fine, you can skateboard,” she cringes as she uses the word “skateboard”.  “Even though I don’t understand how anyone could like those things.”  I smile at her as I pull out my board from the back of the car.

            “And I don’t know how anyone can stand those,” I say, giving the worn, white skates a disgusted look.  I hope off the end of the Explorer, slamming the trunk as soon as I land safely on the concrete.  I put my foot on the tailgate, tying my Converses quickly.  I straighten out the jean shorts and lime green tank top before smiling over at my grumpy friend.  “Besides, you’re supposed to be on a date,” I say, smiling at her slyly as I watch her beautifully tan skin glow red.  We contrast each other perfectly.  While she’s on the short side, I’m a bit taller than normal.  Well a lot normal seeing as though I’m a six feet giant.  My light blonde hair with colorful highlights stands out against her flawless brown waves, and my extremely pale skin makes her seem extraordinarily dark with her tanned skin.  My blue eyes pop out against her brown ones.

            “Well, I-I wouldn’t call it a date per say…”

            “Kendra, the guy is head over heels for you and-“

            “Well there’s my favorite girls,” a loud voice interrupts us and I look to my right to watch as Adam walks up to us.  The three of us have been friends since we met in college.  I watch as he looks at Kendra for a painstakingly long time.  Yes, he’s in love with her, but she doesn’t know that, and I don’t think he does either.  He runs a nervous hand through his dirty blonde hair as he gives me a lopsided smile.  “What are you guys doing here?”

            “Kendra has a date,” I say happily with a smirk on my face.  I watch as his smile drops a little and his light brown eyes grow dimmer.

            “It’s not a date,” Kendra says under her breath making me roll my eyes.

            “Kendra!” another voice shouts and I can’t help but sigh.  What’s up with everyone being so loud today?  I look over to see Bryce, Kendra’s “not date” guy.  I smile as I push off the vehicle. 

            “And this is my cue to leave.”

            “Mia!”

            “Bye!” I shout over my shoulder as I set my board down and push off.  I let a smile cross my face as the wind caresses my face.  I put in my ear buds, letting Lifeline by Papa Roach fill my ears with happiness.  I look around the park, just enjoying how peaceful things can be. 

            My life is finally on track, and I finally know what’s going to happen tomorrow.  I lived in an orphanage for my entire adolescence, and now I’m finally in charge of my life.  Things were bearable at St. Augustine Orphanage, bearable but not the greatest.  Nobody would put up with my rebellious attitude, and it got worse after what happened with Riley.  I suck in a breath as my thoughts go wayward.

            Oh how can I describe him.  He had the hugest ego, conceited, impulsive, rude, and a jerk.  Yet, I let myself fall in…  I pinch myself to stop the words from floating across my mind.  No, I never loved him.  I could never have loved someone who lied.  I was in love with the person I thought he was, but never the person he really was.  I could never love someone who lied about who they were and what their past was just to impress a girl… to make a girl fall in love with them.

            A honk scares me out of my reminiscing I look over to my left, but it was too late.  The wind is knocked out of me as a car is rams into my side throwing me up onto it before falling face flat onto the hard asphalt.  A sickening crunching sound comes from under the tire of the shiny black vehicle.  I let out a gasp as pain radiates from my head and I look up to see familiar green eyes, but before I can remember, my mind goes blank as darkness swallows it whole.