Chapter 4 - Leaving

Two years later

April 2011

It had been two years since the trio had talked about Tyler's future career. Spring had started and a new boy emerged. He had a freshly shaven beard and had grown tall. Tyler was now exactly 6ft. He would be making his way to SAS selection. He had made preparations needed and was ready. He was in his room and everyone was waiting downstairs. He picked his bag up and began walking down.

There were smiles and applauds from his classmates and best friends. He began going round and saying good bye. Daniel was among them. They hugged. "Don't worry yourself" Daniel said. "Me worried. You sure". They smiled as always. Next in line was Amy. "It's okay Amy. I'll be fine trust me". "I know you will. But still". He hugged her. Last in the line was his mother. "Where's Joshua"? "He's out in the garage sulking". His mother wiped a tear away. "Don't worry I'll be back in no time. Trust me okay".

He picked his bag up and went to see his brother. "Hey, what's wrong with you". "Nothing of course". "Nah something's up Josh". "It's just, when your gone. There's gonna be no-one". "So what. If you want join me. Look after mum for a while then join me". "I'll see". "Come here, you fat sod. They walked to each-other and hugged. "You'll be fine, okay". He nodded and Tyler left the garage.

Out in the front was a BMW 320i. He put his bag in the front seat and entered the front seat. As he entered all his friends were out in the front waving. The man in the driving seat started the car. "Sorry Captain Smith, had to say goodbye. "No problem Tyler. Anyways its gonna take a while to get to Credenhill. From there you'll get your briefing". "Sure thing Cap". The journey would take 3hr. He sat back in his seat and waited.

After the long 3hr journey they took a right turn into the SAS HQ. "Right we are finally here". "Wow, this is cool. When do we start"? "I don't know. You'll be told maybe today. Just not sure". The car parked and Tyler exited. He was taken into a warehouse. There was a table and 29 others surrounding it in formal lines. "Sorry DS (Directing Staff) late one. I went to get him". "Sure thing Captain". "Sit at the bench kid". Tyler walked slowly and sat down.

"Right welcome to SAS Selection. Throughout this there are three phases. Endurance, Jungle Training and E&E&TQ. Those who make it through will be part of the SAS. Tonight we leave for Brecon Beacons to start Phase 1-Endurance. Make your way to the mini vans and we leave now. The following people move to Bus 1". He read out 14 names including Tyler's. "In Bus 2, will be the remainder of you". The DS then began speaking among themselves. "Hey you kid". "Who me" Hunter replied. "Yeah you, what's your name"? "Tyler sir, Tyler Adams". "You Captain Adams son". "Yes sir". "That's nice to see. Well we except big things. They all walked into their vans and sat down. The journey would take 1hr to get to Brecon Beacons.

The mini vans soon arrived at Brecon Beacons. Once they arrived they lined up behind a store room. They were given two combat trousers and combat boots. They were then told to change quickly. They all changed outside and then waited as they were given a number armband. Tyler was given 18. He put in and waited instruction. "From here you address as DS. You will be respectful and follow all instructions. We aren't your friends anymore, now get in the tent and sleep. In the morning you will waken up at dawn. You will pack you bags and we will weigh it. Selection starts now". They walked into their big tent. They looked for their number and found all the items needed. Selection had started and Tyler was ready.