HighSkool

HighSchool First Year

Pumuti ang pisara, lumawak ang paaralan at dumami lang ang mga tao pero wala pa ring nagbago.

Shiela still thinks most of the people in the school sucks, some of the teachers too. Not much has change since elementary school. They are still loud and obnoxious and immature as far as Shiela is concern. She knows they make fun of her, but she can't find it within herself to care. It's easier to ignore it and pretend like it's not happening. She tells herself to always be the bigger person. Most of the times, it does not help at all.

Art becomes her favorite subject and she finds herself sketching way too often to escape reality. She becomes a voracious reader too.

Also that year, she had gone to the eye doctor for the first time in a long time. Nanlalabo ang mata niya and the Doctor deduced na baka nagbabasa siya sa byahe or even in the dark. He is correct.
Her welfare insurance wouldn't cover much so she ended up having thick-wide rim brown glasses that she only puts on when she can't hopelessly see the board because the first time she wore them, Kiefer Ravena made fun of her and everybody laughs and call her old and weird.

Valentines Day is stupid. It's the stupidiest holiday ever created at kung may pagkakataon lang, gustong masapal ni Shiela ang kung sino mang nag imbento nun. It's an excuse for the couples para ipangalandakan sa mga taong walang love life kung gaano ka bitter ang buhay nila. It's bullshit. But it is also the day where boys and girls alike ask whoever they are pinning. Most of them says yes except for Vic. May dalawanv babae na lumapit sa kanya sa kanilang Science class and one during PE. She turned them all down.

Needless to say, Shiela does not have a Valentine that day. It doesn't her anymore, not really.

Except it does when then the last subject ended and there was no card in her locker.
Disappointment floods her system and she calls herself stupid for that. She kind of get used to Ara's card at kahit na anong tanggi nya, she's hopelessly looking forward to what Ara would write this year.

It shouldn't bother her. It really shouldn't. They're getting older and Vic belongs to the 'cool kids'. She's the only freshman that got a spot to the Volleyball varsity team, a feat no one had yet made before her.
Rumor has it that the coach was toying with the idea of her on the starters. She is also most likely to bag the rookie of the year award in their division.
She joins almost all of the intellectuals club and was called a genius for flawlessly acing her periodical test.
She is friend with most of the seniors, hell, every soul in the school knows her. She on the other hand joins only the Art club, where practically all the members were bullied and called names. They are the band of losers.
Ara sits in front with her gang while she opted to stay out of sight in the back. She's probably forgotten about her. And that's okay because she's not anything to Victonara Galang. How could she be?

The thought sticks to her until she make her way towards the school bus. An upgrade from the commin jeepney actually.
There, she sits in front, behind the bus driver so she can't be bother ny anyone. All the cool kids sit in the back so they can goof around.

When the bus pulls away from the school, she stop herself from daydreaming and undoes her backpack to pull her sketchpad.
She's the last stop on the route and oftentimes, she's entertaining herself by sketching sceneries playing on her mind.

Her fingers snag on something that is loose inside her bag.
For Shiela, that is strange.
She is very organize and precise on where her things should be kept. There's a baggie of chocolate and an envelope at the bottom of her bag. She immediately knows that it's from Ara because of the red handwriting af the front that spells her name.
She'd know it anywhere.

There were tons of chocolate and she pops one on her mouth as she opens the little notepad with light brown cover instead of her usual Valentines card.
On the first page was a rather bad drawing of a dinosaur with a rawr written inside the speech bubble in its side. 
At first glance, nagtaka pa siya kung lizard ba yun or extraterrestrial but Ara has been so kind and save her from pondering by writing an 'it's a dinosaur' at the bottom.

She opens the next page and Ara's familiar penmanship welcomes her. ''RAWR means I love you in Dinosaur. Will you be mine this year? Rawr, Vic."

Shiela smiles so wide it nearly hurts her. She also stifled her laugh to avoid spluttering the chocolate, making sure it doesn't fall off her mouth.
The bus driver gives her a curious look in the rearview mirror.

It's the first time he's seen the girl smile all year.