Five: A Pond Party.... And A Kiss

Asia was in the dining room with Rhea, Austin, Andrew, and my mom when I got done getting dressed. Asia was a tall, thin girl with large tits that didn't seem to fit her body type. Her hair was almost black and short, cut chin length, her eyes were a dark brown, too. But not darker than Rhea's. Rhea's looked black half the time to me.

The only part of Asia that didn't match her name was her skin tone- a bright, almost translucent white. She was pretty, don't get me wrong. But she was bright. Especially in the sun. And she didn't ever seem to tan, only burn.

Rhea sat awkwardly at the end of the table, her hands in front of her, circling a mug of some kind of steaming beverage. Asia was talking loudly about something that her brother did. Austin's arm was slung over the top of her chair, Andrew was sitting across from them. Mom stood behind me, in the kitchen, cooking what smelled like pancakes and eggs, giving proof that Rhea was right- Mom was cooking for us.

"Morning, Alex!" Andrew called, picking up his mug of steaming drink. "Mom made hot chocolate in the coffee maker! It actually tastes pretty good."

I nodded, helping myself to a cup of cocoa, even though it was already hot out and I really didn't need it. I slipped an ice cube into it, knowing it would cool it down quite a bit. Walking back into the dining room, I took a seat next to Rhea.

"Rhea, what happened to your arm? That looks like it hurts." Asia said, crinkling her brow.

"Oh, it's nothing. I just got it caught and cut it a little bit. It's got medicine stuff on it to help it heal quick," Rhea lied, waving her hand.

"So, are you Alex's girlfriend?"

Andrew had been taking a drink, and spit it back into his cup, laughing. "Are you kidding, Asia?! Omigosh, Rhea is too cute to be Alex's girlfriend!"

"What? No," Asia smiled, and I saw her eyes twinkle a little. "Alex is actually very good-looking, don't you think, Rhea?"

"Okay, you guys! Leave the new girl alone." Mom called from the kitchen. She carried in pancakes and scrambled eggs and bacon- bacon!!!!- for us all to eat. Andrew jumped up and got us all plates and forks and he grabbed the bottle of syrup.

Everyone dug into the food. I made a plate for Rhea to eat, and she thanked me, taking the plate and a fork and drowning everything in syrup.

"Did your aunt get the zip line up, Alex? I remember her talking about one last year." Asia asked as she piled eggs on the plate.

My mom disappeared back into the kitchen as I replied, "Yeah, it's up. I haven't used it yet. It was setting last I knew." Austin went into the kitchen and brought back ketchup, handing it to Asia so she could dump it on her eggs.

"Great! I'm excited for that!" she exclaimed a little too loudly.

"Calm down, A. Seriously." Austin mumbled. 

I glanced at Rhea. She was staring intensely at her food, fork poised to stab her eggs or her pancakes or her bacon. I reached over and set my hand on her forearm and she came out of her seemed trance. She smiled at me, then scooped up some eggs.

--

Asia was loud, in the very back of our van. She sat next to Austin, of course. Andrew was in the front, which left me next to Rhea. The car ride was peaceful enough, Mom driving and Asia doing all the talking. Rhea sat quietly, arms crossed, looking at her sneakers. I noticed she was wearing loose sweatpants. Asia was even wearing shorts, since it was hot out.

The hour long ride seemed a lot shorter, with the jokes and laughter. Rhea didn't laugh. Or joke. She sat quietly, only staring at her shoes.

The car pulled into the driveway and I saw Cameron, Hannah, Tyler, Monica, and Kayla standing in their bathing suits, just in the sand on the pond's "beach". Tyler and Monica were pushing each other toward the water. Monica wore a two-piece bathing suit with roses all over it on a black background. Hannah and Kayla both wore American Flag two-pieces, but with different style tops. The boys both wore swimming trunks.