Chapter Sixteen - Overwhelming Prospects

Natalia’s POV

Three Days Later

It was Sunday, and I was still yet to think of a plan.

I should have been thinking, devising, brainstorming, concocting a marvellous plan that leaves Dexter and my family safe, yet where was I?

Well, I was in a car.

I was in a pink dress, my hair curled and my pink flats covering my feet, I had taken over an hour out of my planning time just to get ready, and I was sure to spend at least a few hours at our destination.

Because, I was on my way to a party.

Not just a party.

A children’s party.

‘Do you have the present?’ Dexter asked, his eyes still focussed on the road.

I looked down at my lap, where a giant box covered in dinosaur wrapping paper lay.

‘Let me think, did I remember to bring the giant-ridiculously-over-sized-brightly-wrapped-present? Uhhh, well I don’t see it anywhere?’ I grinned, my voice dripping in sarcasm.

‘You’re so mean,’ he laughed and I couldn’t help but grin.

‘Your fun to tease, I mean he’s turning five, he won’t remember that you got him the biggest present possible.’

‘No, but Bridgette will and I do not want to get on that woman’s bad side, I once saw her take down a guy with a gun, using only her bare hands. She can be scary,’ he joked, making me laugh. Bridgette was short, her stature not intimidating in the least, yet from the stories I had heard, she was a force to be reckoned with.  

We were on our way to Bridgette’s son, Cory’s, fifth birthday party. I had been dreading the occasion for weeks, it was a giant room filled with Cops and their families. It was going to be a nerve wracking experience.

‘Are you nervous about meeting Bridgette?’ he picked up on my nervousness.

‘I’ve met her, sort of.’

‘As my girlfriend I mean,’ he said seriously and I guess that was some of it. I hadn’t met many of his friends and it mattered that it went well. Since coming to Chicago, Bridgette had become his closest friend.    

‘Sort of,’ I admitted.

‘Don’t worry, she will love you. You’re the kindest, funniest, most beautiful girl I have ever met. There’s nothing at all to worry about.’

How is it that with a few words he was able to sooth my fears about the cops and meeting his best friend. He always makes me feel so sure of myself, like I don’t need pretty clothes or fancy make up, like I really am good enough.

‘I think I love you,’ I told him, because it was true, and if I didn’t figure out a plan within a few days, well then I wouldn’t have many opportunities left to tell him that.

Suddenly the car was pulled over and I looked at him wide eyed.

‘Do you mean that?’ he asked disbelievingly. 

‘What?’

‘Do you love me?’ he asked, and I saw a level of vulnerability in his eyes that I hadn’t seen before, like he was presenting his heart to me, waiting patiently to see what I would do with it.

‘Yes, of course I love you,’ enough that I would do anything to protect you, even if it means going behind my families back. I left the rest unsaid, but I knew it was just as true as what I said out loud.