The Power in the Dark - Chapters 3 & 4

-You are reading episodes of THE POWER IN THE DARK, which is Book 1 of THE

ANCIENT BLOODLINES TRILOGY by Barry Mathias. ISBN: 9781897435113

CHAPTER 3

The next test came after three months. John, meanwhile, had learned many things. Old Mary taught him how to use herbs and powders to cure illnesses, and how to gain power through intense, mental concentration, so he could approach problems in a logical and imaginative way. She insisted he exercise, in order to strengthen his rapidly growing frame, and with his physical development had come a greater mental maturity. She urged him to relearn the mystical signs and chants he had first encountered in the winter; this time he found them easier and more meaningful. However, in some things, he was not changed: he still insisted his name was John, while she continued to call him Giles Plantard; he also believed he was no different to other boys, while she maintained he was special, and pointed to his hand as proof.

John was taking the calf to market. It was a fine young bull, the latest in a succession of sturdy animals produced by the red cow; the only large animal the old woman would keep. When he asked why she did not keep the calves and build up a herd, the old woman said that one cow was all she needed. He tried to point out there would be more profit in building up their own herd and she reminded him sternly of the life he would have to accept.

"How many times do I have to remind you," she said, her voice unusually sharp, "we only need enough to live by. There is no point in earning more money than we need. Most people spend their lives trying to earn sums of money to spend on things they don't really want. They kill animals and eat more than is good for them. They cut down trees to make houses that are too big, and then they have to make weapons to protect those things they never really needed in the first place."

"But we need more money," John had argued.

"You think you need more money, because you think you need a new tunic."

John blushed. Once again she knew his thoughts.

"Which is the reason," she continued, "that I am going to sell the calf and not give it away."

"Give it away!" John was flabbergasted.

"You will learn it is better to give than to receive. It is not an easy thing to learn, and some never learn it, and are unhappy and discontented all their lives. But you will come to understand, because you are different. You will have no choice."

The last statement mystified John, but he felt humbled enough by the conversation not to ask any more questions. A new tunic was something to look forward to.

The local market was held every two weeks in the village of Woodford, almost four miles away. The day was very hot and the ground was dry and dusty. The July drought was in its third week, and life seemed an unending succession of blue skies and blistering, windless days.

The path he walked along was narrow and little used. At times, the track passed through small copses of tall trees with thick clumps of bushes. Then it wound through wide fields, where the grass was waist high and filled with multitudes of insects. He had walked this path a few times and marvelled how the turning of the year brought such changes to everything. The calf was content to follow him, and although a strong rope secured the animal, John found little need to pull the docile creature, which followed like a pet dog.

Having never met another person on this route, it came as a surprise to see a girl about sixty paces ahead of him, picking flowers at the side of the path. John was passing a large oak tree, and his first reaction was to jump back and hide behind it. The girl was unaware of his presence, and it pleased him to watch her as she carefully selected each colourful bloom. Red poppies, purple vetch, blue cornflowers and yellow daisies; he knew them all by name since being with the old woman.