Chapter 3

Chapter Three

Edward

I loved the feeling of being disconnected from the rest of the world. Leaning on the hood of a broken-down vehicle that Jake was supposed to fix for extra cash with eyes closed, everything just felt really… fuzzy, but I loved it. I could hear Jake tinkering with some tools in the corner of the garage while he sang a tune that didn’t fit his description at all. Once he hit the soprano pitch my entire body froze in pain from the sound of it. I rolled my head to the side and shot my eyelids open at him.

“Hey man, you wanna stop that? You sound like a hyena that went schizoid.”

Jake raised his arms while shrugging his shoulders as if he thought he sounded good. I had to be the unfortunate one to let him know that, no, it wasn’t good at all. I closed my eyes remembering the screeching that came from him and it about twisted my insides in a grotesque sort of way. I rubbed the scruff that had begun to claim my jaw as I said “No man, not good at all.” Jake smiled and gave me that devious look of his which told me he was about to take that note to that song one notch higher, so I braced my hands over my ears to save them from the torture as he bellowed it out even louder, and then finally he realized he couldn’t sing when his windpipe cut him off completely as he grabbed his throat.

“I told you.”

“Yeah, yeah, look man, I smoked way too much. I’m gonna take a nap, besides I think I’m getting a really bad fever. What are you going to do?”

I tapped my finger against my right leg that was lifted enough to support my weight as I thought “Hmm, I might go take a walk in the woods or something. Not much else to do. Yeah, the sounds of nature would do me good. See ya about dinner time. Oh and I’m taking what’s left with me.”

“Go ahead man, I don’t think I should be smoking anymore anyways. Something is really off. I think I caught what Sam had and that can’t be a good thing. He’s been out of it for a while now.”

I nodded, remembering what Billy had said a week ago when he was on the phone with someone.

“It should pass soon enough. This fever of his is only a product of what has shown back on our door step and you know that.” He paused as he listened on the other line and then said, “Hmmm, I haven’t run into any of them yet, but I’m guessing there is more than just one…”

I never made it a policy of mine to eavesdrop on Billy’s calls, considering he took me in when no one would, but that innocent call turned into one that had me puzzled. I wanted to ask him what the significance was to the ‘more than just one…’ comment, but I decided that I shouldn’t, because it would just fall back on me for listening in on him.

I lifted my lazy bum off of the decrepit car and waved in Jake’s direction as he left the garage to go inside. I followed suit, but we parted our ways once outside. I went directly to the woods, the only place I knew I could be alone for the most part besides the animals of course.

~~~~

The path was clouded with a light mist to match the way my eyes were now viewing everything. I was so happy that I brought more with me. This was the best way to see nature I thought, a clear understanding of nature filtered through me. I never truly appreciated it except in this way. I pulled out the white long stem and lit it with my cheap Bic lighter and inhaled deeply as I closed my eyes leaning against a tree. I wasn’t ready to exhale just yet, but the sound of conversation coming from the direction of the path that I was going to go, led me to exhale quickly and pull myself into the woods and off of the path. I quickly maneuvered around some small trees until I found a thick giant standing alone and I hid behind it, waiting for them to pass.