Chapter 1

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated."

-Confucius

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I slipped a hair pin into the lock and wiggled it until I heard a click. I eased the door open and slipped down the first hallway that I saw. I inched past a security guard. I held my breath as I did so. I had finally gotten to the 7th floor. I pulled the paper out of my back pocket. 3rd room on the left. I put the paper back and picked the lock on the door. There was going to be a meeting here in about 4 hours.

The sun was just peeking over the horizon. One wall was windows overlooking London. One wall had a white board on it. The opposite wall had a screen and projector. A large oval shaped table took up most of the space in the room. I walked to the whiteboard and took one of the markers from the tray.

'You should really get better security. xx

-A.G.'

I stood back and smiled. I capped the marker and sat it back down. I locked the door behind me and made my way up the 6 stories to the roof. My arms shook as I lowered myself over the edge. I was still a good six feet above the first landing of the fire escape. I held my breath as I let go. The landing shocked me and my left ankle ached. I breathed out and looked around. The sky was partially blazing orange. The early risers were just opening their eyes and shaking off sleep.

I made my way down the fire escape. When my feet finally hit solid ground, I breathed a sigh of relief. I ran back to my flat. Everyone should still be asleep. I successfully made it back to my room and slid off my black jacket and jeans. I was wearing a blue tee shirt underneath and pulled on a pair of white gym shorts. It was Saturday, so I could sleep in for a few hours. Then, I had to go to the barn.

I drifted off to sleep with a smile on my face. I, Ava Garret, the most brilliant nine-year-old in Britain had just infiltrated the notorious MI5.

~3 years later~

I rushed home after school. I immediately went to my room and opened my book bag. I quickly finished my algebra homework and tossed my binder back in the bag. I could read 'To Kill A Mockingbird' later.

I opened my laptop and typed in my password. I brought up the application and quickly started typing the new HTML. It was well past 1 a.m. when I was finished.

My eyes were bloodshot from staring at a computer screen for 10 hours straight. I made a bee-line to the bathroom. I had taken no breaks and didn't realize just how bad I needed to pee.

I stepped out of the bathroom and stretched. My back and neck creaked. I went to the fridge and got out some cold leftover pasta. I microwaved it and sat on the counter while I ate it.

In approximately 5 hours, someone was going to be greeted by a computer screen with:

'Is this really the best you can do? I, a little twelve-year-old, hacked into your so-called 'secure' network. That's pathetic. You might want to get some better programmers. xx

-A.G

P.S: To save some time for the detectives, yes. I did break into the MI5 at age 9. It's the same girl. Either I'm a genius, or you're an idiot. Or, perhaps both.'

I went back to bed, soon after.

~17 years later~

I wrote down notes with my left hand while I focused the microscope with my right. I looked up when the door opened. A man in a black suit was standing there.

"Ms. Garret, come with me," He said. I pursed my lips and cocked an eyebrow.

"No," I said. I didn't take orders from anyone who just walked in here like they owned the place. Anyway, I was working on a new vaccine. It was important.

"It is of most importance," He tried, running a hand through his hair. I shook my head.

"I don't think so. If you would so kindly leave my lab, I can get back to my work," I said, turning back to the microscope. The man walked over to me. I clenched my jaw. The sorry bastard was about to get stabbed in the eye with a pencil.

He flashed a badge at me, before closing it. "Let me see it," I said, holding out my hand.

I held the identification badge up to the light. A blue-colored hologram of the seal of the MI6 showed when I tilted it. I looked at the information.

'Thanes, Paul.

DOB: 5/9/1964

Clearance: Level 4'

A picture of him was on the side. He had olive skin and salt-and-pepper hair. He had dark green eyes.

"What do you want?" I asked, raising my eyebrows even further.

"Come with me and I will explain," He said.

"This better be good," I said, standing up and taking off my gloves. I tossed them in the trash, took off my lab coat, and scrubbed my hands clean in the sink.

I followed Thanes to a black car outside and took a seat. We quickly arrived at MI6 headquarters. I got out and walked after Thanes.

He scanned his I.D. at the door and it clicked open. I silently followed him to what looked like a control room from a war movie.

It was a large room, but there were things taking up most of the space. There were tables against the walls filled with computers and people behind them, who were typing frantically. A projector and screen took up a whole wall. There was a large wooden table with a screen implanted into the middle.

The screen showed a map of the world and countries in different colors, from green to black. England was white. A war threat map is what I am guessing that is what it was.

The lights dimmed and the map from the table was being projected onto the screen.

Now that I looked at it, 85% of the countries were either red or black. About 14% were yellow. Only a few countries were green. I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"As you can guess, this is a map ranking threats. Black is the worst threat, green is the least. The map factors in physical, chemical, biological, nuclear, and technical warfare. We need advancements in the technical department, majorly. You've been known for you're...abilities," Thanes said.

I stared at the map. This would be World War Three.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(A/N): Hope you liked. :)

Pic on the side of Ava in the lab. She's played by the talented Ellen Pompeo. <3

Bit of a cliffhanger. ;p

Vote, Comment, Fan, Share! :D

Goodbye, my peoples. :3