chapter one

Mackenzie's POV

It's been three days without Brynn. I haven't moved for more than the bathroom for three days. I've lost my best friend.

"Mackenzie you have to get out of bed." My sister Maddie said through the door.

"I don't want to," I cried.

"You have to get up." Maddie said again, louder this time.

"I don't want to." I yelled at her.

My door opened and Maddie sat next to me on my bed. "Come on, get up. You're going out with me and Kendall." She said.

"I don't want to." I cried.

"Too bad, Mackenzie. She'll be here in an hour. Just go take a shower and get dressed. We'll go to Starbucks and the mall," Maddie said, her voice gentle as she rubbed my back to make me feel better.

She lifted me out of bed and put me in my bathroom. "Brush your teeth and your hair and take a shower. Get dressed too, obviously." Maddie laughed at her own stupid joke before leaving.

I brushed my teeth for the first time in three days. I showered for the first time in three days. I brushed my hair for the first time in three days.

I stopped crying for the first time in three days.

I didn't dress up though. I threw on a blank tank top and dark grey PINK campus pants. I grabbed a burgundy sweatshirt that said Coca Cola and threw it on.

I didn't bother with makeup besides chapstick, if that even counts. I brushed my dull brown hair and threw it up into a messy topknot.

I put on some black TOMS, grabbed my phone and went downstairs. I plopped onto the black couch and waited for Maddie. As I do.

Maddie came down, her light brown hair curled. Her makeup was simplistic yet elegant and had not one flaw. She had on a pair of basic black leggings and a red tank top with a black cardigan over it. She wore red converse. She sat next to me on the couch.

"Good to see you're finally out of bed." She smiled at me with her perfectly straight teeth.

"Yeah," I mumbled a reply.

Kendall arrived. I knew this since Kendall walks right in like Kimmy Gibbler from Full House. "Honey, I'm home!" She yelled in a joking and expressive manner before laughing.

Kendall's hair was in a messy ponytail but her makeup was perfect and a little heavier that Maddie's. She had on a blue tank top and distressed shorts. She also had on blue converse. Seeing Kendall reminded me it was summer. It must be hot outside.

But I didn't care. I was so cold. I hadn't eaten much since Brynn... Never mind.

All three of us went outside after saying goodbye to mom. Then we all hopped into Kendall's car. Maddie took shotgun and I was given the backseat. My phone beeped.

Unknown Number: Mackenzie?
Me: Who is this???
Unknown Number: Kenzie, it's Brynn.
Me: Brynn!
Unknown Number: Kenzie I need your help. I need you to come get me.
Me: Where are you?
Unknown Number: I don't know where I am. They say you have to get me.
Me: Then how am I supposed to get you?
Me: Are you safe?
Me: Brynn?

"Kenzie, we're here." Maddie said.

"Come on, girlie, let's get our Starbucks on!" Kendall squealed. I looked apprehensive as I smiled weakly at my sister and her best friend.

We walked into Starbucks and ordered our drinks. I got a Ice Chai Latte with light ice. Maddie got a Pink Drink, the bane of every Starbucks barista. Kendall got a frappa-cappa-bullshit with a million pumps of stupid.

My phone beeped and I opened it up.

Unknown Number: Kenz, I need you. I'm not okay.