Prologue

Armani Penate
November 25, 2002
Fairhill, Philadelphia

"Yo, Mani.."

I looked over at Bryshere who sat next to me on the rooftop of my home. We did this all the time, he and his mom stopped by to celebrate thanksgiving with my family and I, whenever we want to get away from all the noise we sneak off and sit up here just staring over the streets of philadelphia.

"Yeah?" I said as I gave him a small smile before looking out at the neighborhood. I already knew what he was gonna say, he's leaving.

It's been the talk of the neighborhood for days now, no lie I was hurting deep down inside but i was proud of him, I always knew he'd find his way out of the 'hood'. "You know I love you right? - you my bestfriend man when i leave here I want you to know that i'a never forget you.. A'ight?" He nudged me making me smile and i nudged him back.

"Yeah.. ya' better not or i'd find a way out there just to beat yo ass"

We shared a laugh before he draped his arm over my shoulders pulling my down making my face crash into his chest. "Yeah...Yeah" he said as his laughter died down and we sat in a comfortable silence, my head on his shoulder.

"But seriously Bry, i'm proud of you" I say as i look up into his dark brown orbs, he looked into mine as he cracked a sly smile. "Thanks mama" he said placing a sloppy kiss against my cheek. We stared up at the sky talking about any and everything just to make one another laugh. "Bryshere, baby?" We looked back at his mother who was standing in front of the window in my room looking at the two of us. "Cmon-" she continued. "We got a lot to do if you wanna head out for California". He only nodded before looking at me. "Make sure you be there, I ain't leaving if you not there to say bye" he said as he stood up looking down at me.

I looked up at him before standing to my feet. "Well duh- why would I miss it stupid?" I said with a smirk as i slightly pushed him before we both headed inside of the house. Closing the window behind me I followed them downstairs meeting my mom and dad at the bottom of the steps, my dad waiting with the door open.

Saying our goodbyes, we waited until they drove off before going inside closing the door behind us locking it.

.......

Next morning, I sat on his bed as my right foot tapped watching him indecisively change his shirt from a regular white t-shirt to a black one repeatedly.

"A'ight i think this it foreal- i'm stick to the black" he said looking at himself in the mirror as he smoothed his shirt out.

" good i like that one better anyways" I said looking him over from head to toe scrunching my face up. " oh my god bry.. cmere" i grabbed the hairbrush off his nightstand as he walked over to me.

Pushing him on the bed I stood up infront of him gripping his chin brushing his hair until it looked presentable. His occasional hissing and wincing made me roll my eyes and i finished up sitting the brush in his lap. "Cry baby" I teased as i looked down at him.

He sucked his teeth standing up mushing me out the way. "Hey!" I said as charged towards him and he jetted from his room door down the steps, i continued to go after him before both of our moms cut it short yelling to us not to run in the house. He stuck his tongue out at me with a smile as i rolled my head folding my arms. "You childish!"

"I know you are but what am i?" he teased rolling his neck mocking the movements of  a girl. I scrunched my face up giving him the meanest glare i could he only laughed. "That ain't even make sense stupid!" I retorted "hey!" our moms yelled in unision.

We hushed and looked down in silence. "Sit down some damn where and hush up all that noise" My mother gritted in between her teeth. We sat by them at the table across one another and continued to quietly taunt one another until we got caught again .

The ride to the bus station I could feel my stomach doing somersaults and backflips the whole way. I fidgeted with my hands and stared out the window as we passed tree after tree. Bryshere nudged me making me look into his direction, he flashed me a smile. I returned a half smile as a part of me wanted to cry and tell him not to go. He grabbed ahold of my hand interlocking our fingers as we continued our journey.

  We waited as busses drove past and picked others up.

Then, there it was.. The bus headed right for California arrived and my heart nearly fell out of my chest. Bry and I looked at each other before he took a deep breath. "Never forget about me lil mama" he said as he shared our special handshake.

"As long as you remember where you come from" I added as our thumbs touched and we smiled at eachother. Hugging onto him tightly he hugged me back before he had to let go and board the bus. I waved bye as the bus drove off and out of philadelphia.