Part 102: The Songs of the Elves

The gypsies made surprisingly good time through the Gentle Forest. Isaac stayed by Roxanne for most of the time and listened to her stories or her songs although usually she combined the two. He wasn't sure how he felt about Banda, the knife-thrower was definitely someone the Crow would've loved to have on his team.

"Hey," Isaac reached out and grabbed Davyd as he ran past with his new friends. He fumbled for what he wanted to say, "Having fun?"

"Yes." the boy whined. "I want to go back and play, can I go? Please?"

"Yeah, for sure kiddo." he smiled and let go. Roxanne gave him a knowing look and continued her song. They were almost at the elves, he knew that, he could tell from the way the gypsies started to act. It was a quiet excitement. They walked in single file, the line stretched a mile long and they were almost at the elves.

Isaac watched Dayvd as he ran around through the group with the other kids, he didn't bother catching him anymore. They would eat together at night and Davyd would bring him things he'd found or made and that was all Isaac really needed and it was all Davyd really wanted.

He could see it coming around the corner. Isaac wasn't a very poetic man and which is why he never mentioned to anyone that he'd seen the elves. Maybe another man, a romantic man, could have described it, the columns, the towers, the high windows, the stained glass and the stone leaves, but Isaac just wasn't capable of describing Imladris.

The elves were tall, taller than any man Isaac every knew. They had long white hair with pointed ears and ice blue eyes. They were the best warriors, everyone knew that. They were also immortal and smart. Everyone was impressed with them, nobody ever thought about going against them, it just didn't make sense.

The Elf king stood at the gate and spread his arms when the gypsies walked up to him. Jay, the robber, strode up and clapped a hand on the tall shoulder.

"Friend!" he laughed. "It is good to see you again."

"You as well, Jay." he smiled and welcomed them into the palace. After a warm bath, a short nap and a large meal, Isaac found himself in an unlikely place.

"Hello?" he called out, he wanted to make sure no one saw him here, it would be humiliating. No one answered so he walked around in peace.

The library was packed with books. Floor to ceiling shelves, ladders stretched to the tops of each and there was that very specific smell that only existed in libraries (which Isaac only knew because he had robbed several). He kind of liked it in here, even though he didn't like books, he liked libraries. They were quiet and people didn't talk to you when you were in there, everyone just wanted to do their own thing which Isaac could appreciate. They were in Imladris for days and every day Isaac found himself in the library. He didn't really do much, he wandered and explored and tried to find secret passages. He pretended he was scouting the place for a job, like he used to do back in Okamila.

It was three days before any of the elves talked to him. He was looking at the bottom of a shelf, trying to figure out if there was a trap door underneath it.

"What are you doing?" she said. He turned to see an elf standing behind him with raised eyebrows. She looked like all the other elves, blonde hair and pointed features and eyes that could freeze the sun.

"Uh-" he stayed awkwardly crouched on the floor trying to think of something. "It's sorta weird and hard to explain."

"Alright." she smiled. "I'm Effy." she stuck her hand out and Isaac stood up to shake it.

"Your name is Effy?"

"Yes."

"Effy the Elf?" he grinned.