Chapter 17- Vital

Chapter 17- Vital

Christine made it back to the parking lot with an hour and a half to spare. She went to sit against the light post like she had done while reading Erik's letter. A smile adorned her face while her teeth chattered uncontrollably. Soon, she would be with Erik again, whom she loved more than life itself. How and why she'd been too blind to see that still boggled her mind.

She shook her head at her own stupidity while shivering violently and rubbing her hands up and down her arms in an attempt to warm herself. It wasn't working.

Why does it have to be so cold? I feel so tired.. But, after everything that I've been through tonight, there's no way this cold weather is going to affect me! She let out a triumphant laugh. A moment later, though, her body shuddered involuntarily.

Her eyes felt heavy, along with every other part of her. All of the crying and running has really worn me out. Her body felt drained of energy, but her mind was still working. Yet, it was working in all the wrong ways... I'm so sleepy.. Maybe if I close my eyes for just a minute.. It would make the time pass more quickly, at least..

No! She reached up and slapped her face several times. You have to stay awake, Christine! Erik called you "strong" in the letter, so you need to live up to what he believes! She forced herself to hum loudly while concentrating on inwardly counting to 100.

A little over half an hour later, Christine could be found shivering and watching her breath move out and fade in the air in front of her. The warmth had gone away and she'd quit humming a while back, since it wasn't helping as much as she'd hoped it would.

This was annoying. Her body felt the need to take deep breaths, but, in doing so it felt like her lungs were burning in response. The pain, the fatigue, the heaviness... It was all getting to be too much. The fact that she was sitting against a light post wasn't helping, either. She was losing the fight to stay awake.

Christine began to think about the movie, Titanic. She understood how Jack and Rose must have felt as they were freezing in the ocean when the Titanic sank. She really was feeling that cold.

No.. Her eyes took on a look of sadness, and she sighed. Maybe I should've stayed at the gas station to wait for him... Maybe I should at least stand now... But I can't... I should've worn more clothes...

Another half hour later, Christine was still sitting against the light post. Her eyes were drooping, but she was determined not to let sleep take over. I should have stayed at that stupid gas station. She frowned, and even that tiny movement hurt. I wish I could know what time it is. The snow was falling and sticking more than ever. It was becoming even colder.

A few moments later, a wave of panic spread through her, somewhat decreasing the feeling of cold and numbness. What if he doesn't come? What if he thought about it and decided that I wasn't worth it?.. It wasn't like she had stayed on the phone long enough for him to really think things through. It was a quick conversation.. or, well, it was more like her ordering him to do something. So, what if he thinks twice about it and decides not to come? And.. What time is it, anyway? What if it's been over 2 hours and I'm sitting here freezing my ass off for no reason?

But, at the same time.. I don't want to live without him. So, if he isn't coming it'd be ok to die out here in the snow.

Her mind was going crazy, which was extremely tiring. But, if he is coming, then what if I die before he gets here? That can't happen! She tried to stand, but her attempts were in vain. Her body was too numb to move. Shit.. I'm in trouble.. Her mind was quickly shutting down. She was losing the battle.