Chapter One

11 YEARS LATER

"Riley! Time to get up!" My mother's distant voice ringed up the stairs and through my bedroom door. I groaned and rolled over on to my stomach, hugging my pillow over my head. "Riley!" I attempted to ignore her again, clutching the pillow tighter. "Riley! I will not say your name again!" I sighed, and just tried to relax, knowing that there was no way I was going to fall back asleep now.

No more than thirty seconds past before I heard stomps coming from the main floor up to the second.

Now I was awake.

I frantically jumped up into a sitting position and desperately tried to untangle my legs from my bed sheets. Frustration and determination were the two things on my mind at the moment.

After quite the struggle, I broke free of my blankets and slid out of my bed, silently cursing to myself. It should be illegal to wake up a teenager on a Saturday, even if it was summer break.

The harsh steps were quickly advancing towards my doors, and I barely managed to close the door to my closet before my mother barged in.

"Thanks for knocking." I muttered as I analyzed the wide variety of clothes I had. Or at least I pretended to.

"Riley?" My mother's muffled voice was gradually advancing

"I'm changing, Mother." I lied.

The shadows under my closet indicated that she didn't comprehend that I needed privacy. Before I knew it, the barrier keeping me from seeing the five and a half foot tall woman was open.

I pretended to cover myself. Mock horror covered my face. "Mom!"

"Please, Riley. You're talking to the woman who gave birth to you." She rolled her eyes a turned around, walking towards my bed. "Hurry up and get dressed, we're going apartment shopping today."

The frustration and determination turned into motivation. There was a week left of summer vacation before I would be re-doing twelfth grade at Brooksdale High, which meant I needed a place to live.

Yes. I said "re-doing". The first time around wasn't successful. Twelfth grade is supposed to be the grade any student who wants to go somewhere works the hardest in. I guess I didn't want to go anywhere, so yes, I failed. It wasn't that I was dumb or lazy. I just had lack of interest.

I don't have friends, but I'm not a loner. People come up to talk to me and converse with me, but still, they're no friends of mine. I just wanted a place where I could start fresh.

Up until now I had attended Langhash High, but if you knew me at all, you'd know that I'm not one to set any aspect of my life in stone.

I'm eighteen. A young woman. I'm entitled to change my mind whenever I please.

Hence, moving equals different scenery which also equals different school.

Too much math for you? Yeah, I feel the same way.

"Riley, come help me make your bed." The voice belonging to my mother beckoned me.

By now I was dressed in my skinny jeans and ballet flats ready to take on Portland's rain day.

I made my way over to the opposite side of the bed and straightened the blanket.

“I was looking online last night, and I saw that there were a few apartments for rent close to the school which would help you save gas.”

I nodded not really paying attention. We had been house hunting a total of three times now. Each place we’ve looked at so far have looked okay to me, but of course, Mom being the mom only wants the best for her daughter, so every single one has been disapproved. Personally, I could care less. I figured that I’d have a job and maybe some friends which meant I’d be out of the house fairly frequently.