Nathan

The next morning I decided to lay low and consequently I departed from the house 45 minutes earlier than usual, before anyone was awake.

Before John was awake.

I took a quick shower and wore the same jeans as yesterday but with a deep forest green sweater. I slipped on a pair of flats and made my trek to school. I entered the cafeteria to find only a handful of students there, most bent over their books. I sought out a place near the back in the more secluded area. I made my way over there, placing my bag on the counter and pulling out the homework I never got to finish. I opened up my math textbook.

"Hey you need some help? You seem to be...stuck?" I blushed, I hadn't realized I had stared off into space. Twisting my body to get a glimpse at who was talking to me I mumbled,

"Um no thank you..." then I trailed off when I noticed Nathan's tall frame. I fumbled with my words and instead angled my head down, allowing my hair to tumble into my face, covering up my flustered look.

"We went over this, no need to be embarrassed" He joked. I kept my head down and pointedly ignored him, scribbling the answers down on a piece of loose leaf. The table shook and I didn't need to look up to notice Nathan took a seat next to me.

"So...what classes do you have this term?" he asked casually, taking a bite out of what I assumed to be, an apple, because of the loud crunching and sucking sounds emitting from his mouth. I shifted so my back was facing him, and I swore he growled like bear.

"You're so frustrating!" he remarked and then there was a pause where I assumed he ran his hand through his hair. "Alice" he said, that one word, filled with emotion. I dared a peek at him but he was already walking away, his hands stuffed in his pockets.

My throat closed up and I shook my head, why did it bother me that he walked away from me?

Is that normal?

* * *

After I finished my math homework I headed to biology a few minutes early. When I entered the room, I scanned for Nathan and when I didn't see him, I felt disappointment sink into my bones.

Get a grip on yourself

I headed over to my desk and plopped down, waiting for the extremely exciting lesson on giving birth...

No comment

I was doodling on my notebook when Mr. Benson asked the class if any of us has seen Nathan. I was about to interject and mention his appearance this morning when he rushed into class right that second.

"You're late." Mr. Benson stated, emotionless.

"Yeah I'm sorr-" Nathan says nonchalantly.

"Detention." Mr. Benson quipped, his teeth chattering when he pronounced the T's

"He's barely late, like 3 minutes." I didn't know what I was doing until everyone turned their head towards the person who spoke up, gawking.

Me.

Their eyes bored into me and I felt my cheeks get warm. It was hard with people staring at you like you grew a second head but I managed to suppress the feeling to cover my face with my hands, instead I pretended to play with my bracelet.

Mr. Benson turned towards me, noticing me for the first time. Out of the corner of my eye I made out Nathan smirking.

"And you are?" he demanded.

"Alice..." I quivered.

"Well Alice, you and Nathan can enjoy detention together after school." he pushed his glasses back to his face and strode over to the white board, starting his lesson. I ran out of my "get out of free jail cards" and sank into my desk, Nathan's snickering echoing off the back of the classroom.