Chapter Four - Genesis - 1

Z9 followed silently behind, treading lightly with practiced poise. She did not stalk the man, simply trailed him. Z9 considered one ultimately more charming, and as a classy and sophisticated individual, she trailed.

Ser-Serad seemed to know exactly where he was going, keeping to the left of the corridors as he navigated his way lower and lower into the bowels of the ship. Z9 felt utterly exposed and naked without the reassurance of a weapon about her. How she wished he would have gone right past her door, so that she could quickly nip inside and grab a gun without him disappearing off like a phantom of smoke.

Where could he be going? Z9 asked herself. She tried to bring up the mental map of the ship, trying to locate exactly what was down this corridor, then on the next, crossing off possible destinations as they walked. They were going deep, very deep, past all of the guest cabins, the very last few not far ahead of them.

That confirms my suspicions, then. He's definitely not here for the sheer beauty of space-travel.

Ser-Serad descended a flight of stairs, his shoes squeaking on the hard floor. In her mind Z9 saw that the main maintenance areas were down that flight, the annotation on her mental map 'STAFF ONLY' flashing away, and the one above the stairway itself seeming to radiate a powerful, deterrent aura. Z9 was never one to turn down a challenge.

She began to head towards the stairs, looking left or right for any sign of security to stop her going down as she went. There seemed to be nobody around, the entire place deserted. Where the hell were they?

She got halfway down the corridor before a door opened behind her. She turned to look, and made eye contact with Kassre DyGleyre who had stuck her head out of the door.

'Z9!' she called.

'Miss DyGleyre,' she said.

(Not now, you cute little bitch, Z9 said to herself, go away and come back later.)

'What is it? What's the matter?'

Kassre's eyes were wide with panic and shock. 'Please, come quickly. I think, I think someone's broken into my rooms during our meal upstairs.'

Holy jumping bat-worshipping shit, Z9 complained internally, you have the worst timing of any woman I've ever met, I bet you only ever cum early or late to back it up.

'Someone's broken into your cabin?' Z9 said, trying to put as much shock into her voice as possible. She jogged over to the open door and ducked inside.