Chapter 3

Just a filler to catch you up on Charlie

Charlie crossed her legs as she laid back on the twin bed she was sleeping in at Kelsey's house. She figured if she appeared tired, then maybe Kelsey wouldn't drag her to the party down the road being held by one of the popular Lacrosse players. It was day six after her and Chris' breakup and she was still trying to reconcile the loss of her boyfriend and her best friend at the same time. Kelsey and Kate were a big help but she missed him. Not that she'd ever admit it out loud or to anyone...After all he was the one who asked for the break. She'd done some traveling with her parents and the band over the summer and he felt like they'd grown apart. He felt like they needed to take some time to find out what they really wanted but Charlie found that what he really needed was to make out with Emma Golden at Malcolm's birthday party while she was celebrating the closing on her parents' new house over the weekend in Huntington. A fact he came clean about the very next day... begging forgiveness but making it clear he was confused about how he felt about the fact that he had been attracted enough to someone else to kiss them.

A fact he came clean about while all her dad's friends were hanging out for a BBQ. Matt had reacted in typical father fashion by tossing Chris out on his ass and telling him he was never to set foot on his lawn. Lucy led Charlie to the couch and patted her softly as she sobbed like a baby. Ugh she hated that he'd done that to her when the band was present.

She sighed at the the thought.

Kelsey threw a pillow at her. "Stop it!"

Charlie sat up and immediately threw the pillow back at her friend. "Stop what?"

"Stop sitting there mooning over ...you know who."

"I'm not mooning," Charlie growled resuming her comfy position on the bed.

"Uh huh," Kelsey said sarcastically. "So you can honestly say you weren't sitting there thinking of..." she frowned and made a gagging face "Christopher."

"No I'm not..." Charlie said before yawning, pretending to be bored.

"Well good...then we can get up and go now and you'll stop moping," Kelsey said as she ran a brush through her smooth blond hair.

"Ugh..do we have to go?" Charlie replied. "It's not like I'm in the greatest party mood."

"Yes we have to do?" Kelsey continued to brush "What's the alternative? We stare here and watch movies on lifetime again?"

"You act like you don't like those movies," Charlie quipped as she sat up.

"Those movies creep the shit out of me," Kelsey replied. "I may never join a sorority or get married...like ever."

Charlie stretched and yawned.

"Nope," Kelsey fluffed her hair. "Let's go."

"You seriously aren't making me do this, are you?" Charlie asked.

"Damn right I am."

===============================

Charlie yawned again as she took in the high school party scene in front of her. She was pretending to be bored but overly conscious of Chris' potential presence. 

"If you yawn again, I swear I'm going to knock the shit out of you," Kelsey said as they walked toward Kate and Amanda, another of their friend group "Can you at least act like you're ready to have fun? I mean seriously...did you not inherit any of your father's party genes?"

Charlie's eye narrowed. "Just because my dad is in a rock band doesn't mean he has wild party genes."

"If he didn't take advantage of being young, hot, rich and single, then your dad totally screwed up," Kelsey threw over her shoulder. "Right Katie?"