Chapter 15: Top of the Morning

Sorry for any feels from the image on the side (but I had to put it there because Redbeard).

----------

Cabinmates

Chapter 15: Top of the Morning

Week 3 - Day 18

The rain hadn't let up since last night.

As the boys' cabin continued their tight schedule to get everything ready for the trip, rain droplets pounded into the windows and walls, drumming a beat-less tune along the glass and wood. Sherlock, being silent as usual, watched the rain pour down. He thought that maybe if he weren't so different, he would be able to feel the rains calmness and excitement as others did when they watched the water fall from the sky.

Sherlock had once read an article about how rain helps one to stay focus, keep calm, and think. He walked over to the beds and climbed onto his, laying down on his back. He brought his two hands together and let the tips of his fingers touch the bottom of his chin slightly. He shut his eyes and thought.

He focused on the rain and the continuous thumping it made on the roofs and walls. Sherlock felt small, constricted, and closed off suddenly. Like a room with no doors or walls. No company except for the pounding rain.

Sherlock began to think. He thought about John and about the plan that he had already began. He thought that maybe this plan wasn't worth the risk, wasn't worth the possibility of hurting John. But this was Sherlock, and he learned the disadvantages of caring, a hidden rule that passed through his veins and nerves silently. He knew that John was merely in the way of his plan, and even if he didn't it was too late. The plan had already begun, and there was no going back.

--

"Sherlock, are you even ready to leave? We're supposed to be going soon," John asked slightly annoyed as he walked into the room to see Sherlock splayed on his bed, trying to connect with his mind palace.

"Hm?"

"Are. You. Ready. To. Leave."

Sherlock suddenly sat up, swinging his legs over the edge of the bed. "You know you're making yourself sound like an idiot by pronouncing each word individually."

John furrowed his brows and stared at Sherlock for a moment. "Uh yeah, okay. But are you ready?"

"Yes yes yes I am ready," Sherlock muttered before leaping of the bed and over to his own bag, swinging it over his shoulder. "See?"

"Okay, good boy." John then patted Sherlock's head as he walked passed him and over to his own bag. He received a confused look.

"What was that?"

"I patted your head," John told him without looking up from what he was packing into his bag.

"Yes but why."

John then zippered his bag and swung it on, later turning to face Sherlock. "I don't know," he confessed with a grin. "I just thought you needed one."

"Is that what normal couples do?"

"I... guess?"

Sherlock walked cautiously to John, staring at him with his intensified eyes. He then reached a hand up and patted John's head twice. "Like that, John?"

John chuckled slightly as he started to head for the door. "Sure, Sherlock. Sure. Let's get out of here."

All the boys gather together on the porch of their cabin, shielded away from the rain from the topping that stretched out of the roof and over the porch. They all watched as the rain continued to pour down. It had lightened up a little, but not enough to be classified as drizzling. Greg was the first to speak up.