CHAPTER 2: Start of Something New

It was two days after and still, Louisa doesn’t talk to me – or even tried. I know it was my fault that her first day didn’t work out right but this is not the right punishment for me. I don’t know why I wanted to talk to her after all that happened. Yes I wanted to be her friend but there was another reason for that. A reason I have not yet known.

The room was dead silent again like the first day. But noise came when a student entered the room.

“I am Tracy, a senior student of this school. Every year, each student must attend several classes to enhance their talents. It is a part of your grade so I hope everyone here could choose which lesson you would take for the whole year. We have a class for dance lessons, music lessons, art lessons, writing lessons and acting lessons. If you want to join a particular class, you may sign up at the bulletin board beside the school cafeteria. Thank you!”

I want to join art class, I said to myself. I am good in drawing and I am sure I would be qualified. I boasted silently. Anyway, I am always like that, very much proud of myself that sometimes, people think I am boastful though I really am not. I wonder what Louisa would take, I asked myself though I think she would take some writing class since she really looks weird and I must say some kind of Einstein.

I tried to ask her but I just couldn’t. I have done much trouble to her and I couldn’t afford to make another one. She was right – I should need to have pity. Soon after, Tracy left the room after saying thank you to our witch teacher and the class went back to its natural state – silent as a dead fly.

As time passed by, the distance between gets farther and farther. I don’t know what I was feeling by that time but every time I look at her, I felt something different. It was hot as if my heart was burning. But then, it was cold at the same time as if I was standing beside blocks of ice. She was not attractive, pretty or I could even say that I would promise to never marry her but then I must admit she was the only one who caught my attention. Still, I would want to keep that promise – I shall never fall in love with her.

Seconds, minutes and hours passed by as I stare upon the clock hoping I could turn back the time. Finally the bell rang. Everyone left the room except me and her. I waited until she took her things and left too.

“Louisa!” I called but she didn’t turn her back and kept on walking.

I secretly followed her to the hallway. The canteen was a few steps away, I thought. I better buy her some food. But she didn’t enter the cafeteria instead, she just kept on walking. I followed every single step of her until she stopped. She was standing on the school’s courtyard. She looked back and I tried my best to hide so she would not notice me. She sat on one of the benches and started to weep. It was the first time I saw someone who has strong personality like her cry. Although she seemed to be boyish, she is still a girl so I thought she really know how to cry. I walked slowly and when I was already beside her, I offered my handkerchief and she took it without thinking.

“You know, tears were made to clean our eyes. So it is okay to cry. You do not need to hide. My dad always tells me that when you cry, if the first teardrop came from your right eye, it means happiness. But if it came out from your left eye, it is pain. So where did it came from?” I didn’t know why I said those words. It was as if it just came right through my mouth without passing through my brain.