•Glowing•

art credit: (alekina|tumblr)

Let it be known that Aphrodite is the mother of love. Let it be known that she is goddess of this blessing and she will not take it away. Nothing will be brighter than the glow of this love. This love will bring about a new age of peace. Love that has been given a name. Names that have been sowed for each other. They will keep each other safe.

"Would you stop reading that garbage," I asked sitting next to a swooning Pansy (yes, swooning) by one of the muggle coffee shops near our new flat. After school we moved in together. I had to get away from him. And she was trying to run away from her parents as quick as possible. She was one of the few purebloods that still believed in the whole "glow-of-love" bullshit she had been reading about before.

Other purebloods either didn't understand it or didn't care enough to. We are creatures of habit and one of the most pureblood habits is arranged marriages. It keeps the bloodline pure. Let's just say she wasn't too happy about the fiancé her father had lined up for her. Who was I to deny her of her freedom?

"You never let me have any fun," she whined pouting her lip. I rolled my eyes before sitting back against the bench and staring into the clouds.

"It's just a fairytale, Pans. You know that just as well as I do. You really think you're going to end up with- what's his name?"

"Justin. His name's Justin."

"Do you even know a Justin?" I kept my head reclined back in thought before looking at her head on. "The only Justin I've ever been vaguely aware of is Finch-Fletchley from school. You aren't secretly off snogging him when I'm not around, are you?"

"Oh Draco, will you quit it? I know you're miserable. That doesn't mean I have to be too. I don't know why I invite you out anymore." Before I could respond she stood angrily and stormed away from the café then apparated to who-knows-where.

No, I'm not miserable, per se.

Yes, she's always this overly dramatic.

And no, she doesn't know.

I sat back in my seat and called over a waiter to get a cup of coffee. Once they delivered it I let it cool a bit while I thought over the passage from the book she had been reading.

It was a story passed on for ages. It seemed like everything here was. It was written in some dusty old book from who knows how long ago, known as the Philosophers Tome. It was a collection of innocent prophecies and stories that gave reasons for every day incidents. Like myths for instance.

The book gave explanations to everyday occurrences that didn't need explanations. They just were. Even so, it was like an instruction manual for the most basic trials of life and it didn't only extend to wizards or muggles or anything in between, every child grew up hearing the stories.

The passage Pansy was reading was a mythological prophecy that was supposed to explain soul mates.

At birth, people are "blessed" by whatever love goddess you believe in, with a black line on their wrist. As a person grows older and a clear personality becomes apparent, so does the line. By the time they're around the age of 5 or 6 the line becomes a name. This is the name of their soulmate, usually written in said soulmate's handwriting. When you meet your soulmate, it's supposed to glow and blah blah blah.