Did You Hear About the Morgan Boys?

I know this is not a very original idea and I know that it has been done before by many people, but just bare with me here. I WILL NOT and HAVE NOT copied other people's stories AT ALL! I promise these are all my own ideas and works of writing. I really have some good ideas for this story so give it a chance guys! Thanks so much! It means a lot! Now my authors notes will usually be at the ends of the chapters but I just wanted to make that point clear from the start. Yayy!

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My jaw dropped in shock. I felt like a huge pit had made its way into my stomach impeding my abilities to speak.

“Paige, honey, we know it is a lot right now and I can stay back if you’d like, but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for your father, and I really think I should be there to support him,” stated my mother nervously wringing her hands.

 My father looked down ashamedly, thick glasses blurring out his eyes so I couldn’t make out his exact expression. He was an Egyptologist and had apparently been offered a huge opportunity to go down to Egypt to study for eight months. My parents were going to go down there, and apparently thought that the conditions would be too rough for me to go with them, and schooling wouldn’t be available in the rural area in Egypt they were going to anyway. The hard facts made sense,  and I knew my parents wouldn’t leave if they didn’t know it was the best option, but it was still a lot to take in in one sitting.

“Mom of course I can’t hold you back from tagging along with Dad. It has been your dream to see Egypt all your life.”

 With those words and a small smile, I turned quickly on her heel and trudged up to her room so that my parents wouldn’t see the tears that had formed in the corners of my eyes.

I knew they must have had a really hard time making the decision to go; there must have been a lot of back and forth so as not to hurt me and I understood the reasons for their final decision. I never thought, however, that my family would actually be one that would ever be separated like it was about to be, especially for such a long time. I knew they would come back intermittently for breaks and stuff, but still, come on; it’s a lot when it’s all thrown on you at once. Especially when my family had the close dynamic that I had always loved. We had game nights and went out together often. Unlike most students my age, I loved spending time with my family, and did so often. I loved my mother’s vivacious, outgoing personality and my father’s quirky humor and intellect.

The worst thing was that I was apparently staying with my mom’s best friend from high school whom I had never met, and the family, the Morgans, lived somewhere in Florida, so I would have to move all the way over there from my beloved New York City and go to school there when my school had started only a month previously. Did I mention that she was supposed to be packed and ready to leave within the week? Yeah, it really was a lot!

            I felt bad for storming off to my room without much explanation, but I just needed some time to myself. I would call my best friends Hailey and Mickey in the morning to vent my thoughts. I knew they’d help my feel better. My parents didn’t come knocking on her door as they usually would have to make sure I was okay, and I was thankful for that. I just wanted to be able to accept it all, or at least be able to take it all in before I faced them again. With the confused thoughts swirling my mind, I fell asleep unaware that I had forgotten to change out of my clothes or brush her teeth.

* * * *

The days had passed much too quickly for my liking, each day had been a blur with so much to do in so little time. I had spoken to Mickey and Hailey about the departure and there had been many protests (on the part of Hailey) and tears (on the part of Mickey). In a different situation, their reactions could have been seen as somewhat comical: Hailey, mouth slightly open and her green eyes flashing with anger as they so often did when it came to her friends, had her arm around Mickey, the tall and lanky, yet handsome boy who had his face buried in his shirt which failed to stifle his uncontrollable sobs.

I had tried to alternate the time I had left between them and my parents, reassuring them both that it would all be ok and that I would see them during breaks. My parents seemed more flustered than usual. My forceful, bold, enthusiastic mother barely even spoke coherently, muttering to herself with worry. My father, usually reserved and busy was even more so, spending almost all of his time in his study and barely coming out to fill my abundant needs for his quirky jokes.

Now I stood before all four of them before going through security for my flight to Florida. I had so much to express in such little time. I took in their appearances. My father continuously patted me on the shoulder a bit awkwardly, pushing up his thick glasses every now and then. My beautiful mother stood with a smile that expressed excitement and sadness at the same time, the wavy blonde locks that I had always envied framing her face perfectly. Hailey stood with her fists clenched by her side; her mouth was pressed in a tight line, the contrast between her jet-black hair and striking green eyes popped vividly. Mickey was also a sight to be seen, as many airport passersby pointed confusedly. His sobs could be heard from quite a distance and his too-tight V-neck was covered in tearstains. Taking them all in I knew that I would never be able to express all the emotions swirling through my head at that moment.

“I love you all so much, really” was all I could manage before I got choked up, thus causing my mother to tear up and Mickey’s sobs to grow even louder. He came and smothered me in a wet hug, and the other three followed-suit. We stood there, an awkward group in a large hug until my ever-punctual father interrupted with—“oh my goodness, your flight boards in less than ten minutes, you’ll need to fly through security!” We all jumped apart wiping our eyes, not even noticing his quirky pun.

            “Make sure to have fun and be safe!” called my mother as I gathered up my baggage and started to walk away. “The Morgans will pick you up from the airport! Don’t get distracted, do your work, be polite, and make sure not to let the boys get to you!”

“Boys?” I called over my shoulder. I was too far away for my mother to hear though, so I put the thought in the back of her mind behind the dozens of other pressing issues that came first.  Little did I know that this “boys” issue was more pressing than it seemed. I had not heard about the Morgan Boys and it would be interesting when she found out that there were seven of them.

_______________________________________________________________

Author's note:

Wooohoo! That was the first chapter! Anyways, thank you so much to InnocentICONicCharm for making the very first cover for this book! Also, please comment your thoughts for the chapter (I'd love any advice), and vote and fan if you enjoyed it! THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH! I'm excited to go on with this story and see how you guys like it. Next Chapter: You will meet the Morgans! Yayayy! Get pumped, cuz I sure am!