Part Six: Breaking Down

Lauren's POV:

I took a deep breath and closed the file then gave it back to Camila. I couldn't say anything, I was speechless, I felt like my mind is about to explode. Everything was complicated, nothing made sense to me. I thought that I'll find some answers today, but coming here to the orphanage and reading this file made me more confused.

Camila put the file back in her bag and we walked to take a taxi. I didn't say anything all the way home, Camila didn't ask me anything as she saw that I was upset and unable to talk. We arrived to my home and I got out from the taxi, waving to Camila. I was about to close the door but Camila held it and looked at me, "Don't worry Lolo, everything is going to be alright." she smiled comfortably to me and I nodded with a small smile, "Thank you Camila. I'll see you tomorrow." and with that I closed the door and started walking towards the front door of my home.

I got in and walked to the living room on my toes. My eyes wondered around the living room, looking for Jack. I breathed a sigh of relief as I saw him laying on the couch, sleeping with his an empty bottle of beer in his hand. Thank god he's sleeping, he's not gonna notice how late I was. I took off my shoes and started walking upstairs, but before I put my leg on the first stair, a sharp voice called me from behind. 

"Where the hell were you bitch?" Jack suddenly asked in a sharp tone, causing me to flinch. I closed my eyes and gulped nervously, afraid to turn my face. 

"At work." I answered with a shaky voice as I started turning my face to look at him, I know he's gonna get angrier if I didn't look at him.

"Your work finished about 2 hours ago, why you're late?" He asked again in a higher tone as he got up from the couch,

"Because..I.. there were so many costumers today, and.. David told me to..." I stuttered nervously  and started playing with my fingers. 

"SHUT THE FUCK UP," he shouted loudly as he started trudging towards me, "I don't want to hear your stupid excuses." he spat in anger, "where's your daily tip?" he shouted as he stood in front of me. I opened my bag immediately and started searching for the money, my hands shaking in fear. 

"Here," I grabbed the money and handed it to him, he yanked them violently from my hand and let out a small laugh,

"What I'm supposed to do with them, idiot?" he threw the money on my face "move your ass to the store and buy me some beers."

I nodded and bent down to collect the money. Suddenly, he grabbed a handful of my hair and yanked my head up, "There is something going on, you are planing to do something behind my back." he slurred in my ear, causing shivers to run through my whole body, "Listen bitch, if I found out that you're doing something wrong I'll kill you." he tightened his grip on my hair and I closed my eyes in pain, "I'll fucking kill you, I swear I'll do it without any hesitation. Do you understand me?" he asked, gritting his teeth.

"Y-yes." I stammered, every cell in my body shivering in fear.

"Good," he smiled devilishly and then let go of my hair, "now go and buy me the beers." he said as he kicked me with his leg. 

"Okay," I mumbled and stood up, hurrying towards the door.

"And don't you dare to get late." he threatened again and I nodded before opening the door and running to the store to buy the beers.

My life was like this all the time, coming back from work, buy beers, cooking, getting beaten up if I did something wrong or if Jack didn't like what I cooked, showering, sleeping, if I got lucky I would sleep for more than 4 hours before my work starts again. I never did something for myself, I never bought anything, I never went shopping, The last time I bought clothes was... actually I don't remember! the only thing I buy for myself is cigarettes. yes I smoke, I know that it's not good and it kills you slowly, but what I'm going through can kill me too, besides smoking is  the only thing that makes me feel better and calms me down, the only thing that I do for myself.. of course Jack doesn't know about that, I'm not allowed to do anything, I smoke when he gets drunk or when he's sleeping..