Chapter 35: Speech! Speech!

So we're skipping a bit of the wedding to get to the speech, we're still doing the flashback with 'The Bloody Guardsman'. I hope you guys don't mind that we're moving kinda fast, a lot of this is pre-written on a piece of paper (I've been working on this for a while). But anyway, enjoy the speech from your POV!

---

Your POV

"Pray silence for the best man." This was it. This was Sherlock's speech. 

I sat next to him at the table, and I looked up at him sweetly. He squeezed the hand that he'd been holding for the whole dinner gently and stood up. I squeezed back before I released his hand. He rises to his feet and buttons his jacket, looking very uncomfortable.

"Ladies and gentlemen, family and friends ... and ... erm ... others." He blinks, there's an awkward pause. I internally cringe. "Er... w... A-a-also..."

I cleared my throat awkwardly, sliding the telegrams that he was supposed to read towards him. "Telegrams."

"Right, um..." He clears his throat and swallows hard, looking back at me for help. I nod towards the telegrams and give him a 'you can do it' look. "First things first. Telegrams. Well, they're not actually telegrams. We just call them telegrams. I don't know why. Wedding tradition." He lifts the card and smirks to himself. "... because we don't have enough of that already, apparently."

I stifle a laugh and cover my mouth, tapping my fingers on the table. "To Mr and Mrs Watson. So sorry I'm unable to be with you on your special day. Good luck and best wishes, Mike Stamford."

"Ah, Mike!" Mary whispers, squeezing John's hand. He nods in approval, looking back at Sherlock as if impressed.

"To John and Mary. All good wishes for your special day. With love and many big... big squishy cuddles, from Stella and Ted." I giggle though trying my hardest to fight it. 

"Mary – lots of love..." He breaths out an almost silent 'oh' and looks back at Mary almost disapprovingly. "... poppet ... Oodles of love and heaps of good wishes from CAM." I look over at Mary and her smile fades. 'CAM'. Never heard that before. "Wish your family could have seen this."

John squeezes her hand, and she gives him a reassuring smile. "Um, 'special day'... 'very special day'... 'love'... 'love'... 'love'... 'love'... 'lo...'; bit of a theme – you get the general gist. People are basically fond." There's a bit of laughter from the crowd. Sherlock smiles down at me like a puppy as if to say 'look (Y/N) I made them laugh!'

"John Watson. My friend, John Watson. John." He looks down for a moment at John, then turns back towards the audience. "When John first broached the subject of being best man, I was confused."

I snickered, you got that right. "I confess at first I didn't realize he was asking me. When finally I understood, I expressed to him that I was both flattered and... surprised. I explained to him that I'd never expected this request and I was a little daunted in the face of it. I nonetheless promised that I would do my very best to accomplish a task which was – for me – as demanding and difficult as any I had ever contemplated. Additionally, I thanked him for the trust he'd placed in me... and indicated that I was, in some ways, very close to being... moved by it."

I rolled my eyes, not remembering the conversation. "It later transpired that I had said none of this out loud." I laughed louder than I intended, clasping my hand with his, hanging by his side. He takes a folded up piece of paper out of this coat pocket, looking quizzically at it. "Done that. ...Done that... Done that bit... Done that bit... Done that bit ... Hmm ..." He looks down at John and Mary.