Chapter 4

Rebecca gulped and shook her head, a little laugh escaping her lips before she could stop it, 'I am sorry, maybe I heard you wrong, but I could have sworn you just asked me to break up with your girlfriend number two.'

'Girlfriend number two?' Jeremy echoed, a smile playing on his lips. So she did have a sense of humor, he thought to himself. 'Will that be a problem?' Jeremy asked, wheeling around to face her.

Rebecca's mouth hung loose, her hands flaring around, 'of course that is a problem! She is your girlfriend, your responsibility. You break up with her!' Rebecca bit her lip to stop herself from saying too much.

To her surprise, Jeremy threw his head back and laughed, 'so she does have a backbone too! I thought you were a ragged doll for a while there,' Jeremy said as he walked towards her, his movement slow and purposefully as though a lion stalking his prey.

Rebecca, unintentionally, moved back a step before she stopped and squared her shoulders. Meeting his gaze she tilted her head, 'so was this a test? Did I pass?'

'No, and no,' Jeremy stopped a few inches away from her, studying her from under his lashes. 'And it's not like you will have to go through the whole It's not you-it's me speech. All you have to do is get her an expensive piece of jewelry and a card that I will sign and hand them over to her.'

Rebecca narrowed her eyes. Did she really want to cross Alice, after the way she had been a bitch to her that morning? It would be satisfying to give the woman her matching orders but at what cost? 'Why won't you do it yourself?'

'Because I pay you to do such for me.' Jeremy sounded bored.

Rebecca shook her head, 'nope. You pay me to take care of your house, occasionally cook for you, but you do not pay me to break up with your girlfriends.'

Jeremy rubbed his chin, thoughtfully, 'did you even read the contract that I had given you this morning?'

Rebecca blushed faintly as she shook her head, 'I have not had a chance to do so. I was waiting for when I am done with my work to do so.'

'Mmh,' Jeremy nodded. He reached forward and trailed his index finger down her left cheek, 'I suggest you read it. Make sure that you understand it, if there is anything that you would like clarified, let me know.' A knock on the door brought a wider smile on his face. 'That must be Marko. Please let him in.'

Rebecca watched him walk away, her cheek still tingling from his touch. Shaking herself, she made her way to the front door. Pulling it open, gapping at the person on the other side. Marko Hernandez, the young oil tycoon was standing on the other side. Rebecca had read about him a while back, on how just from college, he turned the dying family business into a mega player in the technology world.

'Am I going to be invited in?' he leaned towards her and asked in a low voice, his accent deep.

'Oh!' Rebecca blushed furiously as she moved back to allow him to walk into the house. 'I am so sorry! You were not who I was expecting,' Rebecca winced at that. 'I-uhm-please come in.' She said, biting her tongue to stop any other rumble of words escaping.

'That is alright, I am sure you were expecting someone else.' Marko smiled. He had never met this one before, he thought as his eyes took the faint blush and gapping mouth. He should have been used to the way the females looked at him, but for some reason she actually made him enjoy making her uncomfortable. Her eyes were of wonder and respect, not of the predatory nature of the women he had met. She did not make him feel like a piece of steak.  'And where is Jeremy?'

Rebecca pointed to the stairs, not trusting her voice. She groaned when Marko took double steps at a time to Jeremy's office. She had never thought that she could ever meet Marko, the man who she had based her dissertation on. Yes, sure, he was born into money but that did not make him lazy. Instead, she believed, it was the driving force to his success.