[ three ]

"Zabini," Flynn greeted, jutting her chin out a little bit with a small smile as she took a seat next to him at the tables of the Great Hall.

"Ah, Fish, I was wondering when you'd arrive," Blaise lightly bumped his shoulder with hers. "How was your summer? I mean, I clearly wouldn't know because you don't know how to send an owl back." his voice hinted annoyance, of course it was playful.

"I know, I know," she sighed exasperated. "It was a rough summer, I didn't have it in me to write you back, or anyone for that matter."

"And have things gotten better since then?"

"I suppose," Flynn huffed. "How was your summer?"

"I mean, I got the opportunity to go to some stores in Diagon Alley this summer. Some of 'em, I'd no idea even existed."

"Yeah, that's what you get when you're not following a certain someone like a lost pup, right?" this earned a chuckle from the dark boy.

"I don't know what your deal is with him, he's really not that ba — okay, he's an arse, I agree. But you get used to it," Blaise explained how he could barely stand Malfoy during the first two years. Eventually the blondie grew onto him.

"I don't think I want to get used to him. Surely, if he's nicer, no problem. But 'nice' and 'Malfoy' don't sound great together." she retorted with a little laugh.

"Well, I suppose you're right," he chortled along, leaning towards her slightly, bumping shoulders with her. "There's plenty of Slytherins you'd like though, I'm sure this year will be better for you, Fish." his tone became serious all of a sudden and Flynn couldn't bring herself to look at her friend. It was no secret that she had very few friends, only one was Slytherin. She felt embarrassed, she was getting reassurance — pity from him because she had no friends.

"You don't — I don't want friends Zabini," Fish sighed, slumping her shoulders, "this year will be different. I'm planning to pass all my classes."

"And go to parties?" Zabini mused.

"No thanks, I don't usually get invited to those," the girl flushed, reaching over the table for a roll.

"So? Be my plus one, I think you'd like it. Besides, you're from the states, aren't you supposed to like partying?" Blaise tore a piece of Flynn's roll, laughing quite loudly as she swatted at his hand with chubby cheeks.

"I fownt wike — " Flynn put her finger up in the air, chewing her food and swallowing before she started speaking again. "I don't like big parties. Small crowds, I can do. Big parties mean a heap loads of people and that means more people you can't trust."

"Morning Flynn!" Cedric chirped, pressing a kiss to the top of her head.

"Hey Ced," she turned her attention to her best friend. "Sleep well?"

"Of course I did, can't play quidditch while exhausted, can I?" Flynn loved Cedric, but she hated that he was such a morning person. He naturally had energy in the mornings and talking to him made her think, 'what kind of person is this excited to leave their bed?'

"Tryouts are in a few weeks, right?" Zabini joined the conversation. He was very familiar with the school sport as he played it himself.