four

The pair had continued to walk the streets of Manhattan, it was mainly silent between them, the odd word slipping from their lips here and there

A light autumn breeze sent shivers up the young woman's spine, causing the hair on her arms to raise a little.

"Are you cold?" Elijah looked over at her as she shook her head.

"No, I'm good."

He shrugged off his coat and handed it to her anyways, "Please, I insist."

"Thanks," she mumbled after hesitantly taking it.

Elijah's kind action reminded him of the man he was several months ago. He grimaced at the thought of ever being so morally inclined again.

"You know, it's getting kind of late, I should probably head back to my hotel," Tori tucked some hair behind her ear as she bit her lip.

Truth be told, she didn't want to leave his company just yet, but her tiredness was beginning to take over her mind as they entered the early hours of the morning.

"Yes, I suppose I should as well." Elijah sucked in a sharp breath. "How will I know where to find you?"

"Oh, don't worry, I'll be around," a smile small played on her lips as she took a few steps backwards, her hands stuffed deep in the pockets of his coat.

"There are over 8 million people in this city," he argued but she simply shrugged.

She nodded as a goodbye, her soft brunette curls bouncing lightly as she turned and headed down a dimly lit street away from the mysterious man in front of her.

Victoria continued to walk through the backstreets of Manhattan, the cool autumn breeze sent shivers up her spine and she realised she had forgotten to give Elijah his coat back.

She wrapped the material tightly around her petite body, letting her green eyes travel down to her heel clad feet. The silver straps of her shoes reflected the dim street lights as she walked.

Her manicured hand pushed open the hotel's heavy front door. She stepped over the threshold and into the art deco style lobby.

Victoria flashed the receptionist a kind smile as she headed towards the elevator, letting out a soft sigh when she saw another person in there. She was an older lady, with greying hair and a deep red manicure. She gave off the same vibe as the prestigious hotel – it was how Tori could tell the lady came from money.

The two women exchanged kind smiles as Victoria pressed the button for the 12th floor. It was silent between them, the only noise being that of the soothing jazz music the elevator played.

The older lady got off on the 5th floor and Victoria was left alone with her thoughts once more. The elevator dinged and the doors slowly opened, she stepped out and walked tiredly towards her room.

Tori pulled her room key from her bra and unlocked the door. Her soft brunette curls bounced as she whipped around at the sound of someone clearing their throat.

"Fancy seeing you here."

"You know, if I didn't know any better I'd think you were stalking me." She shrugged the coat off her shoulders. "I forgot to give this back."

"Thank you," he nodded simply.

"Goodnight, Elijah," she nodded back.

Victoria shut the door behind her and leant back on the door, a ghost of a smile on her lips.