Chapter 10

Chapter 10

We quietly scaled the house, trying not to slip on the tile. Next to the house was a detached garage. We had missed while breaking in in the middle of the night. The garage door was open, and a minivan poked out. Now all we had to do was get down from the roof, make it across the yard, and hop in the car all while avoiding the zombies that were advancing. Piece of cake.

We made it to the edge of the roof. I looked down and my stomach flipped. We were at least twenty feet above the ground. Below the house there was a gravel driveway. We were on the second story and there was nothing to cushion our fall. We would break our legs, if we were lucky. There was no way we would be able to get to the car. My heart started to race.

Becca let out a hiss. "What are we going to do?" She asked, "There's no way we are going back through the house."

Sara looked around. My backpack, full of cans, started weighing heavily on my shoulders. "Maybe the other side of the house has bushes?" She asked.

"We'd never make it," Caine whispered. "It's too far. They'd be on us before we could all get away." He examined the ground. "Maybe-" He rubbed his eyes. "Maybe if we lowered someone down and they jumped the rest of the way..."

I nodded. "Then everyone on the ground could catch the last one on the roof."

"Fine," Sara said, "But I'm not going first." She looked nervously to the ground. We all glanced down. The earth seemed to be getting further away.

"Well I can't go," Caine replied. "I need to lower everyone down."

"I'll go," Becca said, "But you guys need to watch my back." She glared at Caine. "Sara," she snapped, "Make sure you're the one holding the gun." Sara nodded.

Caine grabbed Becca's hands and lowered her down the roof.

"Oh god," She whimpered, "I didn't think it would be so high." I heard her shoes scrape against the siding. Her breath was ragged.

"Ok," she said, "I'm letting go." I closed my eyes and heard a crunch. Looking down, I saw Becca sitting on her butt. She looked dazed, but fine. She slowly got up.

"Guys," she whispered, "I'm ok!" She did a little dance, then stopped, glancing around nervously. "Will you three please get down here!"

Sara nodded. "Alright I'll go next." Caine helped her and this time I watched as she landed. It looked a bit painful, but not bone breakingly bad. I looked at Caine.

"I guess I'm next." I said. Caine nodded, then hesitated.

"Lana," he said.

"What?" I breathed, tightening my backpack.

"I'm- I'm not sure you three will be able to catch me." He blushed. I stared at him. He was right. He had six inches on all three of us and was much heavier. We'd be crushed if we tried to catch him, but he'd break his leg if he jumped from this height without a cushion.

"You're right." I answered. "I'll have to let you down first."

"Thank you," he let out a nervous breath. Before he could turn, I grabbed his chin.

"Make sure you catch me," I hissed. He nodded.

I slowly lowered him down the ledge. My arms screamed in protest. I silently cursed myself for cutting gym from my schedule last semester.

"Are you good?" I asked through gritted teeth. My shoes were slowly slipping on the roof tile.

"Just a little more," Caine called. I growled through my teeth, feeling my arms beginning to pop out of their sockets.

"Ok," Caine said, "I'm letting go." I dropped him, rubbing my arms. I heard the crunch as he landed. I looked down and saw him on his back.

"Caine!" I whispered. He wasn't moving. "Caine!" I said again, a little louder. I heard a low moan come from him. I looked for Sara and Becca. They were gone. I felt fear creep up my throat. The sun was still up, and I could see at least three zombies slowly making their way towards the house, not to mention the ones still currently inside.

"Caine!" I watched him from the roof. He must have landed oddly. His arm was twisted behind his back at a sickening angle. He let out another groan. "Caine get up!" I searched desperately for Sara and Becca.

"Sara! Becca!" They were here just minutes ago! Where would they have gone?

I heard a loud pounding coming from below me. The zombies were done with Tom. They must have seen Caine fall from the roof.

"Caine get up!" I saw him slowly open his eyes. The crashing beneath me continued, and I heard the muffled shrieks of the zombies. Their excitement was driving the zombies from the fields closer to the house. The three closest began to run.

"Oh god." I whispered. They were going to attack him while he was down. He wasn't going to be able to defend himself. I had to get down there. Scrambling, I unhooked my backpack, pulling my kitchen knife out. I threw it to the ground, then my bag. Hopefully, it would cushion my fall. I quickly lowered myself over the side of the house, my hands shaking. I was hanging from the side of the house. I clung to the gutter and looked down at my backpack. Then, I let go.

Shit. I had forgotten my bag was full of canned food. As I landed, the metal felt like pokers going through my back. I let out a strangled scream and cursed. A wave of nausea made my stomach flip. I opened my eyes and saw my ankle twisted at an 180 angle. I let out a strangled sob. I couldn't move. I could still hear the pounding of the zombies against the walls of the house. The three zombies were now racing toward Caine and I, who was still lying on the ground.

"Caine," I sobbed, "Caine! Wake up!" I tried to move, and a shooting burst of pain sent my head spinning. I cried out, only making the zombies start to shriek even more rapidly than before. They were less than 200 meters away. I reached for my knife, just a few centimeters from me. I couldn't reach it.

"Caine!" I screamed. "Sara! Becca!" I pulled my bag out from under my back, my arms trembling. I heard Caine groaning.

"Caine!" I wailed, "Get up! Get up!" I reached for my knife again, pulling my body towards it with my arms. Pain shot through my system. He pushed himself up groggily. "Caine please," I whimpered, "Please get up." I felt the sharp blade of the knife brushing my fingertips. He was slowly rising to his feet.

"Lana? Holy shit..." He looked at my twisted leg.

"The garage," I cried. It was so close. "We need to get there before-" I froze, hearing the high pitched squeal of the zombies. I turned and saw Caine, with the same deer-in-the-headlights expression he had while Tom was being attacked, facing three zombies.