The Letters - Still Monday

As Andrea slowly walked into her destroyed apartment, she noticed a stain of white on her coffee table. She walked over to it and recognized the small flap of an envelope. She picked it up with shaking hands and cautiously opened the letter, praying to herself that it wouldn’t be a threat for something worse.

Dear New World,

You don't believe that there was a world before the one you live in now. You don't believe in ruling ages differently. But I'm here to tell you differently.

I live in that past time, and I live in the present time. In my time, I would only be 16 years old, but now, you consider me 32. One year in my time, is two years in your time.

I was given a mission to convince you of this other time, mine. But you people are so stuck in your OWN worlds, that you won’t listen to anything.

You won't even believe that I can live to be 200, in your time.

But I can. And I will.

I don't want to have to wait 168 years to prove to people that my time exists. I want to prove it to you before my own time is here.

So, believe me, I ask. Believe me and tell others. There's a way to show it to you. But there's a special way to get there, and only I know it. This can save lives, we have cures no one here could ever dream of, but no one understands. So spread the word. Because the time for me to show myself is coming, and I'm only taking those who believe.

Sincerely,

Derek

The letter fluttered to the floor as she finished reading it, recognizing the name scribbled at the bottom. As the letter landed on the floor, it had flipped over and her name was printed in bold letters.

Andrea,

I know this might seem crazy but it’s true, you must believe me. Meeting me today was fate, destiny if you must. But no matter what you call it, we were bound to meet. I have been searching for you, no you in particular, but the one who will help me deliver my message.

I know you understand it all. It’s not as crazy as it seems, because you’ve dreamt about it. You know what will happen if no one comes. This world of yours will cease to exist.

You’re a smart girl, I know you understand. Let me take you out, we can talk about this. You know where to find me…I’m always next door.

Yours,

Derek

Andrea stared at the letter with wide eyes. She knew she shouldn’t believe a word it said, but her stomach gave little flutters as she remembered her dreams.

But how was she supposed to convince people to go somewhere that she didn’t even know really existed. How was she supposed to let people know what will happen if no one leaves with him.

She had always known this day was coming, the flutters in her stomach turned to knots as she thought about what he had done to her apartment. She looked back down at the letter quickly.

….I’m always next door…..

The letter crumpled in her hand and she stormed back out the door, and into the hallway. She turned to the only other door next to hers and pounded her fists on it.

“Derek! Damn it Derek! Open this door now! You have a whole lot of fucking explaining to do!!”

She continued to pound mercilessly on the door until her oncoming fist was stopped by a hand.

“Hey, now, Andrea, calm down. Who knows what our neighbors will think of you.”

She quickly spun on her heels and her other palm immediately connected with his cheek. She stared at him, stunned of what she’d done, but then did it one more time, the slap even louder than the first.

“What. The hell. Is this?! Do you need to go to some kind of freak hospital, because I will gladly drive you!” She wrenched her wrist from his grasp and slapped the letter into his chest. “Explain it! What kind of sick person are you to make a joke like this. And to trespass into my personal space?! What the hell were you looking for??”

She continued to pressed the letter into his chest, before storming off back into her living room. She heard his footsteps as he tried to follow, but she immediately slammed the door closed, smirking as she heard it connect with something. He began to knock on her door, calling her name as he began to turn the knob.

Her eyes widened and she quickly twisted the dead-bolt, knowing there was no way he could get in.

Until the door opened.

“What the hell?!”