Seven: You're Sick. Congratulations!

I wake up at six a.m. with a raging headache, blurry vision and the unfortunate impulse to throw up everything I've eaten since yesterday—blood pasta included. I manage to stumble to the bathroom and mumble curses while hunched over the toilet. I have the burning urge to scratch out my throat and smack my head against something.

I play up the moaning child (with little exaggeration) until Mom comes in to see why I'm late.

"Oh!"

After thirty minutes, two pills, four pillows and eight variations of "I want to die" I stop wanting to die and start feeling well enough to marathon TV shows and take full advantage of this unexpected illness. I've got the sickness routine down pat, thanks to a notoriously unreliable immune system. The only thing different about this time is that Mom is beaming. Even with the room smelling vaguely of puke.

"Mom?"

"You wore it."

I take a moment to realise what she means. I look down. I didn't think to take it off yesterday, and now the pendant is glowing very faintly through my shirt. I pull it out and stare at it. "So it's not amethyst?"

"It's responding to your powers, Vinni." Mom sucks in her breath. She kind of reaches out for it, but pulls back, like she's afraid to touch it. "It... I don't know what it does, exactly. Your dad understands more than I do." Understands. Present tense. "But it's linked to your powers. Activates them, maybe."

"I don't feel any different. I mean, I feel sick, so unless that's my power..."

She frowns. "Probably coincidence. There's a flu bug going around." She checks her watch. I feel bad; she's late. "I've got to go to work, Vinni. Call me if there's anything urgent. If not, enjoy your day off." She kisses my forehead lightly and hurries off.

Activates my powers...

The centipede.

I pull the necklace off and set it on the blanket. After wearing it non-stop for two days straight it feels weird having it off. Immediately, the gem stops glowing, but I don't feel any better. Maybe it is just coincidence. I move it to the bedside table anyway and reach for my phone.

MY PHONE DIED VINNI YOUR TIMING SUCKS

WHAT IS THIS

WHAT DO YOU MEAN MOM GAVE YOU THE NECKLACE

WHATS IT LIKE

WHAT DID DAD SAY

WHY AREN'T YOU REPLYING ME

WHY ARE YOU OFFLINE

VINNI

I'M GOING TO MURDER YOU

Vera is just a tad less threatening than ONE YEAR LEFT (which, by the way, Mom also refuses to talk about). She's online, and I send her a quick update, minus the bit about supernatural powers. I still don't quite believe it myself, and no point in getting her hyped up over a levitating teacup. Or suicidal bugs that run into garbage disposals. Instead, I divert to more normal conversation.

Vinni: How are you?

Vera: Okay

Vinni: Anything other than okay?

Vera: I'm fine. People are great. Everything's great. I have friends, you know.

Vera: Mom, though.

Vinni: Mom's just stressed. About work, then me getting sick. Low expectations and high amounts of caffeine as usual. I'm good.

Vera: Okay. Did I tell you about the fish exodus?