Chapter Nine: Empty Kisses

**
My mother feels powerful, and it's dangerous.

Sebastian and I have a lot in common, believe it or not. Maybe that's why we're at such an impasse—we're more alike than we'd openly admit. But one thing that we have in common that overpowers all is the undoubtable evil in our parents.

As I become older, the reason for my mother's animosity towards me makes me curious beyond compare. When I was younger, I just assumed it was something I did; I assumed that I was just unlikeable in her eyes. But now I see that it's more than that. She's willing to blackmail me to keep me away from her schemes, and to make sure I'm miserable. And the only reason I have is because of a woman, and her involvement in my mother's life; my mother went as far as to tango with Garrett Harrison to ruin me.

When my mother disappears up the staircase, I rush out of the house. I feel as if I'm suffocating in my own ignorance; how could I be so dumb and clueless to think she would compromise?

I get into my car, tightening my hands around the steering wheel. My frustration causes me to slam my hands on it until my palms are red.

"I need to call Claude," I tell myself, and that's exactly what I do. He picks up on the fourth ring.

"Hello?"

"Claude," I start with staggered breaths. "You were right. I think I really fucked up."

He sighs, followed by silence, then speaks. "What did you say to your mom?"

"I confronted her about Claire and Felicity, and she denied it until I caught her in her lie. But before I left, she threatened to...expose me if I got in her way."

"Expose what?"

I don't reply, but deep down I have a feeling that Claude knows what it already is. He's rather ominous.

"Claude," I continue. "If she tells everyone what she's holding against me, I-I really don't know what I'm going to do. I...I really don't know—"

"Alright, just calm down." His tone reminds me of when I fainted in his arms after Sebastian's journal leaked; like a concerned parent. "What did she say exactly?"

"Not to get involved in Sebastian's personal life 'or else.'"

I imagine Claude rubbing his eyes. "See what happens when you go off without listening to me?"

"Well, what do I do now? For all I know, she'll expose me even if I go by her demands! And its bad enough Garrett has her in his pocket! She's so fucking evil!"

"You're going to do what she says. You're going to keep your distance until we can figure something out."

I half expected Claude to propose something irrational, but better than obeying her; bowing to her. I almost laugh at his suggestion.

"So, you want me to give in?"

"Until we can figure something out," he repeats. "You trust me, right?"

"What choice do I have?"

Claude laughs, genuinely for once, then hangs up.

**

I arrive at my office early in the morning to get a head start at answering emails. I didn't get any sleep the night before, so my eyes are suffering against the bright screen of my laptop.

"Coffee for you," Darcy announces once she enters my office. I thank her like she's given me water in the middle of a scorching desert.

"Have you checked your answering machine?"