Chapter Three: A Bitter Christmas Pt.2

I think I'll edit over the course of this week, because I need to drown myself in homework.

---

"….Last event of the overall gymkhana. You excited for the keyhole?" Desmond stretched out his arms before handing Cassandra a jalopeno cheese slice. Cassandra thinly smiled and accepted the offer. The two sat in a reasonable proximity next to each other in a camping site in Everwind Fields. They were having a little peace agreement snack. As long as Summerbelle was safe and sound, things were going to be delicately placid.

"Like you said, it's a gymkhana. I already won a blue ribbon during the tower race, so I probably won't bother with this. Forrest is though," Cassandra nibbled at her cheese slice, avoiding eye contact.

"Is Forrest your boyfriend or something? You guys are close from what I've heard."

Cassandra smirked, "Oh really? Don't listen to newbie rumors, because that's gross. Forrest is my cousin."

"R-really?" Desmond's face burned red while stocking the cheese and crackers into his saddlebag. "You know, you can get revenge on me if you go." 

To her, it sounded like some kind of tease. Cassandra squinted at Desmond, like he was starting to blur her vision, "Is that meant to be some sort of joke? Just because we're being civil now doesn't mean I'll decimate you in the arena."

Desmond's grin faltered by a margin, but still maintained it, "Oh, so it's not just a gymkhana now, is it? I don't think I want to compete more, Far is worn down for the day. I'm heading back to Moorland…let me ask again, are you competing?"

"I think Summer is done for the day as well. She's had quite a fright," Cassandra worriedly walked towards her mare and used her fingers to run over the tangled mane, "I can't believe she managed to get tangled in grape vines." The last part was muttered low.

Maybe it was just what Desmond felt, but it felt really awkward just standing there next to Farend, Cassandra next to Summerbelle, and they wouldn't speak for a couple of minutes. 

"Um," Desmond broke the quietness with that unreasonably loud word, "Where are you staying for the night?"

Cassandra took a moment to give a quizzical look, "Sleipinir Dorms in HCD of course. Isn't the answer obvious?"

"Of course! HAHA!" Desmond forced a laugh which clearly didn't get through Cassandra as legit. Another awkward silence cued in.

Cassandra started rubbing Summerbelle's forehead now and took a glimpse towards Desmond. Both claimed to leave, but neither did. Odd. Was it a courtesy thing? 

"Desmond?"

"Yeah?" Desmond turned towards Cassandra.

"You do know you're going to walk into a Christmas party at Moorland stables, right?"

"Of course. Mr.Moorland announced that this morning."

"Is that why you asked me about where I was staying for the night? I'm pretty sure you're smart enough to know that I'm not new. So were you inviting me to it?"

Desmond nearly choked on his own saliva before speaking up, "Don't take it wrong the way! You just seem very…abandoned."

Cassandra huffed and mounted Summerbelle, "Abandoned has never been an adjective to describe me. HCD has its own banquet tonight exclusively for its students so don't waste your time worrying about me." She was about to start the long ride back to South Jorvik before Desmond said his farewell.

"Au revoir Ms. Skylake!"

Cassandra nearly fell off the saddle when whirling around to catch his dimpled smile, "That's my mom!"