Chapter II

The city glowed silver in the starlight. He stood upon the hill known as Star Watch, a steep outcropping of rock just outside the walls of Celestia well known for its spectacular view of the city below.

His thoughts were consumed by the Song of Eternity, tomorrow's grand experiment. He was so engrossed in his musings he failed to notice the figure approaching behind him.    

"The great Arch Magus Cronius stands gazing down upon his city, his formidable intellect bent towards the plight of its lowliest citizen," mocked a woman’s voice.    

He turned, unable to stop a smile. "The sorceress Shayle reprimands the foolish Arch Magus for missing yet another meal," he said, his tone wry.

Shayle, his betrothed, had an impressive knack for bringing him back to reality. As she returned his smile, he could not help but gaze in wonder at the sight of her. Though he knew her to be well over fifty years of age, she looked not a day older than twenty-five.

Our city may be beautiful, but this woman is more beautiful still, he thought. Eternity is not long enough.   

"You did miss another meal," she said, her voice concerned. She turned away from him to face the city below. Her smile faded. "Do you still mean to go through with this ridiculous idea of yours tomorrow?"   

"You know I do, beloved. This is my city. I have an obligation to see to the well-being of all. Not just the powerful." He smiled at her then, his eyes softening. "Or the beautiful." 

She ignored the pleasantry. "Well-being! There is not a citizen of Celestia who wants for anything. You coddle them like some doting father, Cronius. And now this." Her lips formed a perfect, well-practiced pout. "What fun is there in being immortal if every seamstress and milkmaid in the city has the same luxury?"   

"It would not matter if every woman in the world had youth eternal, Shayle. Still you would outshine them all." A sly smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. "Especially when you're angry."

He turned once more, following her gaze to the city below. "If it is within my power to grant the gifts we've been given to the populace at large, I would be a selfish ruler indeed to do otherwise."

With a sigh, he stepped back from the edge of the hill. "I believe some mention was made of dinner. Would you do me the pleasure of dining with me this evening?"

"No, you fool, I drudged all the way up this hill to tell you to go eat dinner by yourself.” Her slender arms crossed over her chest. 

"Well in that case, the least I can do is escort you safely back to the city," he said, grinning, and offered a hand. Shayle at first feigned reluctance, but soon relented and took the offered hand. "Come then, my dear," he said, "I know a shortcut."

Cronius muttered a few low, unintelligible words, latent with power. Holding her hand in a firm grip, he stepped off the edge of the steep outcropping, pulling her after. She swallowed a cry of shock as the expected free fall turned instead to a sedate descent. The soft luminance of their forms framed a silhouette against the moonlight as they fell in gentle decline, hand in hand, towards the silver city below. 

The beauty of the moment was only slightly marred as a soft, feminine voice muttered, "Show off."