Prologue

His footsteps grew louder, and his pace quickened with every step he took. I glanced over my shoulder and saw him staring at me with a glare as cold as bitter ice.

''What do you want from me?''

There was no reply. He just carried on walking, getting faster with every step. The man was nearly running now, and I knew there was no turning back. I began to run for my life. I knew there was no getting out of this one, but I could at least get back home and explain to whoever would listen. We passed street after deserted street, until finally he stopped in a familiar place. I glanced over at the street sign and studied it through the pouring rain. After a while, I could just make out the words 'Ash Close'.

''Hazel, listen to me,'' the man began, ''I know I messed up, but you've got to forgive me. I made your life hell. I know that, but I want to make it up to you.''

''WHAT?! You think you can make it up to me, what you did was un-human and immoral. I could never forgive you.''

''Hazel, I--''

He looked at me again with his fake act of forgiveness, but I could see the truth written all over his face. Now it was my turn. All the anger and hurt inside of me was getting too much for me to cope; with one swift punch, I sent him crashing to the floor. He was a monster, and I didn't want him in my life again. Then, I ran.