~ Aiden ~

Aiden sucked in a breath, propelling himself through the water with powerful strokes, driving hard for the last few feet to the dock. He hauled himself from the water and lounged on the wooden planks, propped on his hands with his head tipped back, savoring the last rays of sun. With eyes closed, he inhaled, hoping the combination of ocean air and physical exhaustion would get the woman off his mind and allow him to sleep tonight. An imagined whiff of lavender brought another wave of pain. Her scent.

"Aiden."

He exhaled. Now he was even hearing that tender voice during his waking hours.

"How are you?"

A frown creased his forehead as gentle fingers caressed his brow, brushing back his damp hair. Only Emily did that. He must be hallucinating.

"Aiden?"

He opened his eyes and tilted his head. After two hard blinks to clear his vision, he decided the woman kneeling beside him was real. He straightened, holding his breath. Waiting.

A smile flickered as she tucked the skirt of her sundress beneath her and dangled her feet in the water, but it faded. She stared wide-eyed, twisting a strand of her dark hair around a fingertip. "Say something." Her lashes fluttered over shining green eyes. "Anything."

The lump lodged in his throat made that impossible. The burn behind his eyes warned him of his impending breakdown. His mind warred. Even as instinct demanded he run, he reached out and tangled his hand into her dark mass of waves, reassuring himself that he wasn't dreaming. He sucked for air, drawing her toward him, burying his head in the crook of her neck. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't move, couldn't speak, couldn't let her go.

She curled her arm around his back, one hand ruffling his hair. "I missed you."

Those precious words he'd longed to hear. The pounding of his heart drowned out the next ones as his breath hitched in his chest.

She shifted, sliding a leg over him, her fingers entwined in his hair, her soft lavender scent engulfing him. "I love you." Her warm breath wafted against his cheek and she pressed her lips to his temple. "Shhh."

Aiden's embrace tightened. He never wanted this moment to end, the pain and anger already fading away. None of it mattered. The woman he loved was in his arms and he vowed to avoid repeating past mistakes.

He slid his hands up, cupping her face between them, finally daring to look at her.

A shimmer appeared in her eyes, the cloud of dark hair around her making her look like his very own angel. Her lips parted, the nibble to her lower lip and darkening of those beautiful jade eyes sending a shudder of desire through him.

He captured her lips in a hungry kiss, the way she pressed her hips against him and the soft moan low in her throat inviting him to continue.

Emily nipped at his lip and dug her fingers into his back. Her other hand traveled down his bare belly to pluck at the band of his swim trunks.

As he caressed her velvety thigh, a vague thought flitted through his mind. This wasn't the best place for what was about to happen... but... fuck the consequences.

As his eyes drifted open, contentment crept over him. The warmth of her naked body cradled against his as the sailboat rocked reminded him this was real. Emily had returned.

She shifted, regarding him with sleepy eyes. "I'm starving."

He snickered. "Should we plan a raid on the fridge?"