After The War

"Hermione..?"

Hermione felt a soft hand shake her shoulder tentatively. She felt so comfortable on her leather chair that she didn't want to wake up. Besides, she was having a pleasant dream, one of the few she had after the War. Then she realized where she was: in her office. Her eyes snapped open.

The first thing she saw was flaming red hair and freckles. She immediately recognized the face as that of one of her best friends, Ron Weasley.

"Are you all right?" Ron asked. He grabbed her hand soothingly and knelt next to her chair.

"I'm fine," she yawned, "I just... dozed off for a while." She rubbed her eyes tiredly. "What time is it?"

Ron raised his left wrist, glanced at his watch. "One thirty a.m.," he said, looking at her face, concerned. "You should get some sleep," he told her. "You've worked too hard. Besides, Harry and I are leaving in a while."

"Oh, no!" she said hurriedly. "I have loads of work to do." She leapt from her seat and began to shuffle papers. "I must finish this report before Christmas."

Ron looked a bit stunned. "Christmas is still two weeks away." Hermione frowned at him but continued scanning over the papers. "Come off it Hermione! You push yourself too hard." Hermione stopped to look at him, biting her lower lip. She thought for a moment about all the work she had yet to do.

She had to investigate the murder of Florean Fortescue. He was found dead near his ice cream parlour, after going missing years ago. It was an important report that needed to be taken care of, but she was very tired. Her mind focused again on Ron who had been waiting for an answer.

Begrudgingly, she slowly muttered, "...Okay."

They stood up, Ron grinned. "Great," he said. "Ginny is in the Burrow, but I think she might still be up; I told her to wait for you so that you don't have to go home so late."

Hermione snorted; if Ginny was waiting it would be for Harry, not her. Ron gave her a timid smile.

Hermione grabbed a few papers and looked at Ron before saying. "Well, good night." She smiled and walked to the door. Hand resting on the doorframe, she half turned. "See you and Harry later."

"Good night," he answered. He walked to her and planted a kiss on her right cheek. Hermione blushed, glanced at him one last time before walking down the corridor of the Ministry of Magic.

Once she arrived at the Apparating point, with a small 'pop' she left the building and Apparated outside the Burrow. Gingerly, she knocked on the door, hoping not to wake anybody up. It creaked open, revealing Mrs Weasly in a purple nightdress and a pair of pink slippers.

"Hello Hermione, dear," said a sleepy Mrs Weasly.

"Hello Mrs Weasley, sorry to wake you; I was busy at the Ministry. Ron told me it would be fine if I stayed here for the night," Hermione said apologetically, stepping inside the house.

Mrs Weasly closed the door. "Of course, dear. Would you like something to eat? You seem a bit pale..."

"No, thank you, Mrs Weasley," responded Hermione knowing too well of the sweet woman's feeding obsession. "I think I'll head to bed." Mrs Weasley nodded and turned around, heading to the living room where Ginny sat, drinking hot cocoa.

Hermione walked up the stairs slowly. When she reached the guest room, she pushed open the door, launching herself instantly onto the bed. She couldn't believe all the work she had to do before Christmas.

She worked at the Auror Investigation Office. She had to investigate every murder, every attack that a dark wizard committed. Most were Death Eaters in hiding. This new office was created after the news of the impending war with the Dark Lord. Harry and Ron were full-fledged Aurors, while Ginny was still in training.