A Fresh Start

The Wait: A Fresh Start

     A loud bang ricocheted off the invisible walls of the area. Chihiro had her eyes squeezed tightly shut, expecting to be hit and flung across the air like a rag doll. She was expecting herself to be spitting red liquid from her mouth and a pool of blood to form around her limp body and excruciating pain to render her paralyzed and immobile.

     Oddly though, she didn’t feel anything, except for a white light and quietness. She concluded that she had died immediately; hence she didn’t feel any pain. Am I in Heaven already? She had always thought that the trip up there would have taken much longer.

     “Chihiro!” Her heart flinched with an unspeakable pain when she heard that familiar voice by her ears. She was most definitely in Heaven, except… why was she actually feeling pain? She had been certain that Heaven was a place where there was no pain or sadness all her life.

     Slowly, the noises began to enter her ears again. There was a mixture of gasps and loud murmuring, indicating a crowd of people was present.

     “Onee-chan! Open your eyes!” The little boy spoke.

     She didn't. Her heart seemed to stop for a moment. What was he doing in Heaven with her? He couldn’t have died with her! That was just…

     “Oh, thank goodness you’re alright, Chihiro.” A strong pair of arms hugged her from behind, and that was when her eyes opened to see that she was still in the middle of the road, and that the little boy was still in her arms, staring at her with grateful and relieved eyes.

     She stood still, dazed. “We’re… okay..?”

     “You’re safe now.” The voice confirmed. Her heart skipped a beat in recognition of his voice. It couldn’t be. That was impossible. He couldn’t have crossed over and appeared. That was insane and—

     “Don’t be scared.” It was funny coming from him, since his body was trembling against hers. She placed her hand over his that was at her waist, feeling that it was real. She wasn’t dreaming or hallucinating. He was really here.

     Tears began to pool in her eyes as slowly, she let go of the boy and turned around to see the man whom she had missed more than dearly in the past two months.

     “H-Haku?” she said disbelievingly and reveling in the joy that she had just said his name for the first time in two whole months. “You’re… really here?”

     She hadn’t realized her cheeks were wet until his fingers stroked her cheek and wiped her tears away. “I’m here now. I said I’d protect you, didn’t I?” Haku smiled, and pulled her into a tight embrace.

     While it was sort of suffocating because of his excessive strength, Chihiro felt whole, for once in a long while. Her heart slowed into a comfortable pace as she nuzzled against his cheek, letting the peace and security overwhelm her. “I’ve missed you…” she murmured, squeezing him back.

     “I missed you more.”

     “What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be back at the shelter? And how did you even cross over the meadow? I thought you said you couldn’t go any further before.”

     “Well, I—”

     “Yuu! Yuu!” The sound of crying kids cut him off, and they pulled apart to see the young boy she had protected being swarmed by his friends and getting pulled into a big group hug. He was crying along with his friends, the shock from earlier pouring out from his swollen eyes.