Chapter 2

Angelica's POV

I open my eyes and the first thing I see is the sky, a dark sky. I bolt upright into a sitting posistion and wildly look around. The people that were here before have left, and the only sounds left in the park are bugs and swaying trees.

I stand up hastily and roughly pull my bike up. I push off the ground and am starting home when I hear a voice shout, "Hey! Wait!" 

My body freezes automatically, and a dulled down feeling of something bad rises up through my mind. I slowly set my feet on the ground and glance back.

There's a boy, looking to be about my age, which would be 17. He has thick dark brown, almost black looking hair, and the most unusual eyes I've ever seen except for my own. They're a deep blue with flecks of gold on the inside and a navy color outlining the rim of the iris. His skin is even tanner than mine, and his build is lean and tall. Seeing him tugs at something deep inside of me. And I have to admit, he's pretty cute. Okay, immensly cute.

He jogs towards me and I wait. My body tenses when he comes a little closer than the respectful distance, and I back away.

He stops and sees I've distanced myself, and he quickly retreats back a few steps, but I don't move. He clears his throat and bites his lip.

"Uh..." he stutters.

"Yes?"

"Why are your eyes like that?...err...I mean why are they so...unusually bright?" He blurts out. 

I just stare at him. This is what he wanted to ask?

"Your eyes aren't exactly normal either." I hear myself use a tone of voice I've never used before, and I wonder why.

He grins and puts his hands up in some type of surrender. "You're right. I didn't mean it to be rude. I just wondered where you're originally from."

"Then you'd have to ask my mom. She did have them first, although she passed away when I was little, along with my dad..."

Something changed in his expression, and he said, "Oh, I'm really sorry. Same with my parents."

Sorry? I mused the word over in my head. What did that mean?

I didn't know what to say, so I just said, "Um...okay. I'm...sorry too?"

There's a long silence, and I really need to get going back. I ask quickly, "Where are you from, then?"

"Here," he says, but he bites his lip again and darts his eyes.

He is so lying. 

I don't have time to press the question, so I just mutter, "Oh, I've never seen you around before. Good to meet you." 

I hop on my bike and start off towards the road. 

"Wait!" He shouts, again.

I turn around without stopping.

"Are you saying that I'm the type of person you would have remembered if you'd seen around? That you wouldn't have forgetten if you'd seen this hot body before today?" 

He gestures to himself.

I feel my eyes roll automatically and wave him off.

I get on my bike, trying to catch my balance before I start pedaling. I lift my feet off the ground and before I can even find the pedal with my foot my bike is leaning over again.

The boy steps closer and catches me by the shoulders before I can go falling to the ground again.

His hands graze my bare shoulders and an electric shock unlike anything I've ever felt before sends tingles through my body.

I feel...vulnerable.

Like a wall has been trapping me in my whole life and suddenly it's been knocked down, and I'm both free and totally unarmed. All the sudden I'm sensitive to everything around me, to the wind playing with my hair to the boy's warm breath on my neck.

He seems to feel something too, because all of a sudden his body goes tense and he quickly removes his hands and stumbles back in a daze. 

Then our eyes meet, and there's something so deep in his, some...life or awareness.

Then all of a sudden the sensitivity is gone, and the wall slams back down. 

I'm safe again, normal.

I decide that this is all bad. I decide that I don't like the boy. He's too strange. Perhaps even dangerous, because of the way I felt so vulnerable and unusual, unnatural. I've been taught my whole life that these things are bad, very bad.

Then I go home, looking back to see his dazed figure.

Edith grounds me for a week as soon as I step in the door since I almost missed my curfew limit, and I go into my room to Rosie curled up in my bed, leaning against the back board as if she was just waiting for me to come home.

I don't know what happened tonight, but it couldn't have been emotions, right? That's impossible...or almost, anyways...