The Butterfly Project

"This dance now is for the bride and groom."

As the song Landslide started to play, Julia watched her father and new step-mother complete their love by marriage. She held a strong grudge. She resented her father and felt she would forever. As the song ended the audience clapped. Being happy for their special day, "How about we get all of the couples out here for the next song. "

"Julia? How about you grab Liam and dance too." Says the bride, Renee.

"Is that a question? I totally feel like saying 'no' to you."

"Please? One song."

"Sure, Jules. Come on!" Liam grabbed her arm and pulled her out to the dance floor. All Your Life came on. Eli knew it was his daughter's favorite, and she could not resist smiling to the song and enjoying herself.

Not wanting to make a scene, Julia knew she had to use the bathroom, and fast. She smiled walking past her father and Renee. Eli gave Julia a glare, wondering what his daughter had planned. Renee seemed almost completely oblivious.

"She's been in there for quite a while now." Liam said to another friend. "You think she's okay?"

"Knowing her, then probably not."

Liam walked over to the newly wed bride.

"Um, Renee" "I'm sorry. But um, could you possibly do something for me real quick?"

"Sure, sweetie."

"Will you please go check on Julia? She is in the bathroom. She's actually been in there for about a half hour. She won't return my texts, and I can't go in there."

"Sure thing, honey."

Renne got up from her table, and as she started walking toward the bathroom a bridesmaid runs out screaming and sobbing. Her face is pale, and her eyes are purple and blue. There is a hint of guilt that cannot be seen by the others. Only by one special child. Her name is Sophia Isabel Daniels. She has a severe case of Autism. Being the mean and uneducated, the uncreative bullies came up with calling her Sid. Sid doesn't talk. At all. The doctors say it's the autism. Her dad says that she saw her mother shoot herself. The kids at school say she's retarded. Liam, Isaiah, Charlie, and Julia say she is unique.

"What the hell is wrong?" Eli shouted. "Where's Julia!"

"Call 911!" the horrified Bridesmaid shouted.

"What the hell!" Eli ran into the bathroom finding what he thought he would only find in a Lifetime movie. Eli stood in his tracks. Mouth open wide. His eyes watering up, as he gazed at the body of a fifteen year-old girl hanging from the ceiling of a bathroom stall. Her arms have crosses scared to her tissue, and the blood tricked down. Her face was in a smile. It was very stiff. Even from her grave, was she mocking the father whom she hated.

The sirens got closer. Eli doesn't know how long he'd been standing there, but as he caught is breath, the body was gone. He ran out to find that towels were wrapped around Julia's wrists, and is being treated with CPR. He runs to his girl who sabotaged his wedding. At this point, he doesn't care. Eli just wants his baby to be safe. The paramedics are on Julia before her father's brain can register the events. All he wants is to be woken up.

"Oh, Eli..." Renne whispered. "I-I- I don't know. I'm sorry."

"Oh, no, baby. She'll be fine. I know she'll be fine. I hope she'll be fine."

They hulled Julia off to the hospital. Paramedics giving CPR, paramedics giving stitches.

Mumbling was going on back inside of the Legion, were the wedding reception was being held.