Chapter Eight: The Mirrored Past

"First Officer's Log, Supplemental.

The Enterprise continues to remain in orbit above the Halkan homeworld, attempting to negotiate for the rights to harvest their dilithium reserves. From what the Captain has divulged, the Halkans are extremely hesitant to risk parting with it; not for reasons of greed or avarice, but rather for fear of what could be done with the destructive power that their dilithium could provide. Though I believe the Captain finds their intransigent nature frustrating, he also admires the basis for their stand; indeed, such a civilization would be welcome within the Federation for their principles.

Matters have been further complicated by the arrival of a passing ion storm; at current altitude, the Enterprise is being subjected to considerable turbulence and ionized interference. Although the risk is negligible, there have been reports of minor damage and system failures throughout the ship. The importance of securing this trade agreement, however, currently overrides such considerations."

------------------

"Report, Mister Sulu." Spock instructed quietly, hands folded behind his back as he stood next to the helm console, considering the swirling magnetic storm on the viewscreen.

"We are maintaining orbit with some difficulty," Sulu reported quietly, his eyes narrowing as he considered the readouts. "But the storm is intensifying, sir."

"Very well. When the captain checks in, we will inform him as to-"

Spock's musings were interrupted as the comm system sparked to life.

"Kirk to Enterprise."

"Spock here, Captain."

"Report on magnetic storm, Mister Spock."

"Standard ion type, Captain, but quite violent-" a rough shudder shook the bridge leading to a wry; "-and unpredictable. "

"Rough ride?"

"If we remain," Spock replied, which was as close to a recommendation as he would get.

"Stand by to beam up landing party. Plot an extended orbit to clear disturbance. Kirk out."

"Comply, Mister Sulu."

"Aye, sir," Sulu replied, carefully inputting the new heading.

"I will be in the transporter room," Spock announced calmly, even as he moved towards the turbolift, stumbling only once when the ship gave another sharp tremble. "Ensign Karra, if you would please send a transmission to Starfleet updating them as to our status, and the necessary delay."

"Yes, Commander," the communications technician, replacing Uhura for the moment given she was on the planet's surface, shifted her hand to her earpiece as she began to speak quietly, composing the necessary message.

Only moments after Spock had left, the turbolift doors slid open again; Chekov and Sulu were having a muffled conversation with each other, and so didn't look up. Karra did, and blinked with mild surprise when an unfamiliar fellow stepped out; dressed in a crisp, red Starfleet uniform, right down to the boots, his brown hair was nonetheless a little non-regulation, messier than it should have been. A repair kit was clenched in the man's right hand, the other behind his back quite casually, and he glanced about the bridge, looking both pleased and slightly nervous.

Though there were over four hundred crewmembers aboard the Enterprise, and as a result it wasn't as if she were close, personal friends with every single one, but still... this one looked completely unfamiliar.

"Hello," Karra finally said, her tone friendly, if a little confused. "Who are you?"

"Oh, sorry, where are my manners," the man replied, friendly smile in place as he approached Karra, extending a hand, even as Sulu and Chekov glanced over their shoulders, surprised. "John Smith. I transferred aboard during our layover at Starbase Five. New engineer, very excited to be here, the Enterprise, plum assignment, very plum."