2: Firebrand

Cover painting by Angela Taratuta. Chapter artwork found images. All graphics by me.

Book 1: The Green, Book 2: Lynch's Boys, Book 3: The Road Home, and the Riders & Kickers Anthology are available on Amazon under the name Regina Shelley. So if you hate waiting for chapter posts and/or want a more polished read, the finished product is available now.

Dear Mr. Devereaux,

I hope this missive finds you well. Excuse the clumsy mix of languages, particularly my terrible and clumsy attempt at Shoshone. I'm a bit more skilled at Absaroka and Michif, but not by much, as you will see here If I have succeeded in my plan, this letter will find you. I am in need of your assistance in getting this note to the one other person within a reasonable proximity of you that can also read it.

I'm sure you will quickly determine who that is. And when you do, you will understand completely my secrecy, as well as why I must beseech you to help me to keep that secret. I know that I can trust you. I have no doubt you will understand that I am trusting you with the life of someone I love. And possibly my own.

Thank you, Sir. I will not forget your faithfulness in this endeavor.

The one you long ago called Little Firebrand

Beloved,

We've run into a bit of trouble, I'm afraid. The entire place is locked up and they will not permit us to leave here. I suspect the only reason I was able to get this letter out to you is because it was from me, whom the men here consider a hysterical and foolish child. That, and the fact that they can't really read most of it. We are as safe as I suppose we can be, all things considered, and they are treating us quite well. The man in charge here has taken an interest in me and I have no doubt he will keep me safe as best as he can. But I do not want you to worry, as I have no idea when we might make it home.

I know you, and I know you are already thinking about how you're going to come out here and liberate us. I cannot overstate enough how I do not want you to do that. I do not know what's going on outside, but I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say I fear you will be in peril anywhere near here. The situation outside is possibly quite volatile, and if you show up here making demands, it will be even more so inside. Please just stay home, and be there for me when I return. If something were to happen to you, if you were to not be there...I would not be able to bear it.

I want you to know that you consume my thoughts, and at night, my dreams. How desperately I miss you. Had I known I would not be returning to you in a short time, I don't think I would have been able to leave. I love you, and I don't care about anything else. I've had plenty of time alone to think. And though I've tried and tried to distract myself, the only thing I can come up with is that I am slowly going mad for want of your arms around me, and the sound of your heart against my cheek.

I'm sorry it took me so long to let you know. I'm sorry I hurt you the way I did. I know now that I cannot be apart from you, though I may have long tried to convince myself that it would be best if I tried. I'm simply not that strong. And I want you to know that the moment I saw you, the first time I looked into your eyes, something inside me recognized you. I knew I loved you even then. And I'm sorry my fear and foolishness made me deny it all this time. As long as there is breath in my body I will always return to you. And if it comes to pass that there isn't, I simply want you to know that I am yours, and that knowledge has made me happier than I have ever been in all my life, and my only regret is that I wasn't honest with you...or with myself...sooner.

Know this...I love you. I love your smile and your deep eyes and your surly moods. I love your warmth and your sense of humor, and your gentle sweetness. Most of all, I love your beautiful soul, full of sun and rain and thunder. You are the most amazing person I've ever met. I wish I could let you see yourself through my eyes. If you could, you would know my I speak my heart.

I just wanted you to know, in case I never get to tell you. Stay safe for me, for you are the most precious to me of everything else in my life.

Remember I love you. Always. No matter what happens.

England

Thanks for reading! If you are enjoying this story, please let me know by giving me a star or a comment! I appreciate your support!