Chapter 3: The Meeting

Paris let me sleep in since I worked restlessly to make sure the great halls were near about spotless. Some of the other vampires that lived in the mountain offered to help; I refused. I needed to do something on my own for once. When all of them were sound asleep, I finished and went to the balcony to watch the sunrise.

Part of me missed my old life. I missed my old friends and the town I lived in. I missed the town I lived in with my mother. I mostly missed my mother from my old life. Did she know about Larten being a vampire? When I thought of Larten, it set my blood boiling. I've heard rumors that he was coming to show his new assistant to the Princes because his assistant was a boy. I hoped for my sake that it wasn't true. I hoped that Larten wasn't going to be there.

I woke up the next night and stretched. Funny how my dawn is twilight and my sundown is sunrise. I got ready and made my way to the hall where the vampire normally gather. I looked around for Gavner, who was off on business again.

Paris was the one who found me.

"Jordan, there you are," he said. "Gavner is back."

"Thanks, Paris," I said as I gave him a smile and started looking for Gavner.

It didn't take long for me to find Gavner. His breathing precedes him a mile before his body gets there. I smiled when I saw him, ignoring the people beside him, like usual.

"Gavner, you're back!" This time was shorter than usual.

"Of course, I ran into who I was looking for on the way."

"Luck is never that kind to you or me, Gavner," I said with a smile.

"Ah, this time it was, young Jordan," he said. He waved a hand in  the direction of the people next to him. "I ran into them on my way, as luck would have it. Do you remember them, Jordan?"

I looked at the people he was pointing to. There was a man, dressed in sweats, looking exhausted. His aura screamed sophisicated bastard--like it always has been since I've known him. There was that scar that was on his face that I hated.

"Larten," I muttered under my breath.

"Jordan," he said.

"Jordan, you must remember Larten's assistant, Darren," Gavner said, ignoring the tension between my...father and me.

I looked at the kid staring back at me, who looked about my age. He had dark hair and deep, caring eyes.

"So, you are the kid my father blooded too? Wonderful to know he's capable of making the same mistake more than once," I said sinically.

"Jordan," Gavner said with disappointment, like a parent would scolding his child. Since Gavner would be the one to finsih rasing me, I had no problem with him chastising me.

"Sorry," I said, "please excuse me."

I turned around and walked away from Larten and his other  mistake. Instead of aknowledging the other, more important vampires, I made my way to the balcony and hid there, trying to get the image of Larten's new assistant's shocked eyes from my head.

"How could he just blood some kid who went to one of his shows? Seriously? He chose that, that boy over his own flesh and blood. He sent me, his daughter, to be with Gavner? Why couldn't he have sent the boy?"

I went on rant and everytime I said daughter, I shivered. I was grateful Gavner was willing to take me in and all but I hated my father for the most obvious reasons: he traded me for a boy assistant. I sat down at my usual place near the window and looked at the half moon as it rose into the sky. Like the beast my father turned me into, I felt serenity within the moon.

"I could stay here forever," I muttered to myself as I rested my chin on my arms.

I had some feeling deep inside me that someone was looking for me. I hoped it wasn't Darren, my replacement. Maybe it was Paris looking for me or someone like that. Or maybe it was Kurda and he wanted help mapping out the labrynth of tunnels old vampires had created far too long ago.

I walked to the cracked door and looked through the crack. No one was there. I sighed and walked back to where I was. The gala would be soon. Kurda was soon to become Vampire Prince and that was means enough for the other vampires to celebrate and drink the night (and part of the day) away. Regardless, most of the vampires here would be thinking about the Vampaneze. The Vampaneze, as I've heard most of the Vampire Princes and Gavner talking about, are planning an attack on the Vampires. It's given vampires themselves a bad name because it was the Vampaneze who were the evil ones.

I decided to retire early and avoid the crowd of people starting to surround other vampires and even Seba had found Larten. I rolled my eyes and started to make my way to my room. I had one more rant session about Larten and his assisant before I finally laid myself to sleep and tried to remember what my mother looked like and what my old life would have been like if my mother had never died and I never met my father.