Chapter Two: An Unlikely Rescuer

Her world became a tangle of hues that faded into shades of grey. It took a moment for her eyes to adjust when a new world melted around her. The sky was populated by ruddy clouds and a barren wasteland stretched before her in every direction. In the distance she could see a familiar sight: the black castle. When the gargoyle leapt into the air, Erica barely stifled a terrified scream.

They closed the distance to the castle with an alarming velocity that made Erica dizzy. As they drew near, the gargoyle banked sharply and Erica felt her stomach contents start to creep upwards. She swallowed hard, clinging tightly to her captor, willing her spinning head to still.

As they drew nearer, Erica realised that the castle bore more than a passing resemblance to the one she had been writing about moments earlier; it was identical right down to the dark stone walls and the jagged path winding its way to the colossal front gates. The same was true of the gargoyle.

When at last they came to a bumpy landing on a spacious balcony, it felt like every bone in Erica's body had been jolted out of place before slipping back. No sooner had the gargoyles webbed feet touched home, it began wandering through the archway before them and into the castle.

"Put me down!" Erica scolded sharply. The gargoyle did not so much as break pace. "I don't know what you want but I'm sure we can work something out ..." She trailed off helplessly as her plea was ignored.

Erica had often wished she could slip into the world of her imaginings like she had seen in so many movies or read about in books. Now, she wasn't so sure. How was such a thing even possible?

Her lips curled into a devious smile as an idea surfaced. "Gargoyle, I am your master! I created you! I order you to put me down this instant!"

The gargoyle froze mid step, turning its giant head to stare at her, granite features twisting as best they could into an expression of confusion and doubt. Unfortunately the moment was fleeting and before long the gargoyle's face smoothed and it continued on its way.

Unperturbed, Erica continued to bark orders, hoping one would get through. None did. Still, she kept it up, all the while taking in her surroundings. The castle was uninhabited. There were suits of armour lining the walls, tapestries and lit sconces, but no people. Erica had yet to see so much as a servant or a guard as they traversed the dreary, cold hallways.

They crossed a landing below which she could see a banqueting hall. A huge table stretched across the stone floor, dressed with plates and goblets. The delectable scent that rose made Erica's stomach gurgle greedily. A tiny blossom of hope unfurled as she considered that the food was for her. Perhaps she had misread the situation and she not in any danger.

The tiny bud of hope that opened was abruptly crushed when the gargoyle turned to a wide doorway and descended down into near-darkness. When they made it to the bottom, Erica sucked in a sharp breath. Rows of iron bars set into the stone floor and ceiling stretched down the dank corridor. Rusty manacles and chains were bolted to the wall and floor. There was no mistaking the purpose of the chamber she had been brought to; it was a dungeon.

"No! Put me down!" She shrieked. To her surprise, the gargoyle complied, setting her down. The elation was short lived as she was pushed through into a dank cell and locked inside.

Erica dashed to the cell bars, pressing her face between them. "Wait! Stop! You can't leave me down here!"

The gargoyle carried on, loping up the steps. The crash of a heavy door slamming shut and the scraping of bolts echoed in the partial darkness around her before all fell still.