Chapter Six; haunted houses part two

"Okay so the rules are fairly simple" chase walks around holding a flashlight in his hand.

"There are-" he trails his voice out as he mentally counts how many people there are outside with us tonight.

"There are 14 people. Break up into groups of two. There will be 7 groups. 4 groups will hide while the other 3 groups try to find them. If you get caught, you go back to base which is here" he points down to where we are standing.

"If you are not caught by the end of the two hours, you win and you are the champions"

"What do we win?" My brother speaks up

"Alcohol , beer, food, doesn't matter" chase shrugs and my brother fist bumps another guy I've never seen before.

"As soon as the lights are out, you are free to hide. You'll have 15 minutes and then I'll send the other groups out to go find you guys. GO!" The lights turn out and everyone runs in opposite directions trying to find a good hiding spot.

Someone grabs me by the wrist and I scream . I quickly cover my mouth.

"Stella we haven't even started the damn game yet and your already yelling. Your gonna get us caught!" Shawn complains. I grab onto his arm and cling to it.

What? I don't like the dark.

"I know where to hide just stay quiet and follow me" he takes my hand and holds it. We walk around in the dark and head inside a barn.

Yes a freaking barn. This is a horror movie in the making if you ask me.

We walk around a few corners and threw a few spider webs which has me gagging. I hate spiders. "You'll get over it" Shawn says as he laughs.

"Yeah well you don't have a spider crawling down your romper do you?"

"What's a romper?" Shawn stops walking and ask

"Oh shut up just keep walking!" I usher him to move forward.

"Stella quit breathing loud" Shawn whisper yells and I hit him.

"That's not me asshole"

"Shit it's not me either!" he picks me up and throws me over his shoulder . I yelp.

"Get my face away from your butt!" I hit his butt with my hands and he laughs.

"You love being near my butt. Every girl does" he chuckles and I slap his butt harder.

"I must not be every girl because I'm not enjoying this put me down !" I yell louder.

He chucked and I can feel his vibrations all over my body. I don't get him, one minute he can be a complete asshole and cold and the next minute he can be the sweetest person who makes me laugh.

"Be quiet you scream so loud" he pinches my butt and I yell even louder

"Your gonna get us caught stop yelling Stell , Jesus" he puts me down, by this time he is laughing so hard to the point you can tell he's losing air because he starts to cough.

"I bet you like when girls yell loud" the words slip from my mouth. He laughs even louder. He grabs my waist and pulls me Into his side.

"I like it when I'm in bed, not when I'm playing hide and go seek in the dark where anyone could easily find us and catch us. His laughter dies down quite a bit. My face stays straight. He must notice he said something wrong because I stay quiet .

"Jesus Stell I didn't mean it like that , I'm sorry" he pulls me closer into his side but I pull myself away.

"We are hardly even friends you can't be mad that I made a sex joke about another girl" he suddenly becomes serious.

"We are hardly even friends?" I laugh and push myself off of him. "One minute your all 'wow your smile is beautiful' and the next it's all 'we're not even friends' " I scoff and begin to walk away. I can't see where I'm going but I will find my way back with out his egotistical self.

I start to march off

"Stella stop being complicated that's not what I meant" he calls out.

"Oh no Mendes, it was pretty clear what you meant. We're not friends, I get it!" I make sure to call him 'Mendes' instead of Shawn making my point clear as Day.

I try to find my way back to where we started but it's so hard considering the fact I've never been here and it's pitch black. I try to use the light on my phone but it won't turn on.

It's dead great. Just great.

"Who's dead?" Another voice booms out which makes me jump up and squeal.

"My phone, dammit you scared me" I look around trying to find the person who just spoke.

They use their phone light to show me their face.

"My names Charlie, I'm Chases cousin. I don't think we met before" he smiles at me. He has brown hair and brown eyes. He has a cut in his eyebrow . I would say it's trashy on anyone else but on him.. it's hot. He looks oddly familiar.

"I'm Stella" I breathe out heavily .

"Sorry I didn't mean to scare you"

"It's okay it's not that I'm just out of breath . I couldn't find my way back"

"Well I'm guessing you were hiding so consider yourself caught" he smiles and I huff.

"Ugh I forgot about that, your gonna have to show me the way back"

"Don't mind if I do" he loops his arm around mine. He walks me back to the field we were just at in just a couple of seconds.

"I was that close to the exit? I'm so stupid" I laugh and so does he.

"I've been playing this game since I was 12. I know every inch of this place. Lights on or lights off" he looks down and checks his watch.

"Speaking of the lights should be coming on in 3 , 2 , 1" he counts down and the lights come on. I look at all the people in the field and watch the people as they come out of the barn looking for Shawn. I don't want to look for him but I still find myself trying to search. I turn around toward the barn and see him.

He walks out with Brianna. Hand in hand.