Chapter6

It was seven in the morning and the sun was only beginning to rise. I sat alone on the park bench with my fingers tucked into the creases of my pockets, away from the morning chill, as I watched the early-morning joggers and dog walkers go about their business.

I stifled a yawn, fighting the familiar feeling of fatigue.

"Boxer, get back here!" Someone shouted from behind me, before suddenly, a large, scruffy brown dog came bounding around the bench and onto my lap. It's paws were damp and moisture leaked through, onto my jeans. I squealed, surprised, as the dogs big tongue slipped out and licked my hands, leaving them wet with slaver.

I attempted to push the heavy dog  away from me yet was unable to stop from laughing as it licked my face affectionately. Gross.

"Sorry." Someone said from behind me.

I turned my head, still trying to push the dog away from me, "It's fi-"

As soon as I saw those familiar brown eyes and perfect bow shaped lips, not only did my lungs fall out of my mouth but also my heart. My chest felt constricting as though I couldn't breathe and my heart hammered hard. I blinked, trying to find my ability to speak. As the silence continued to grow, I felt my cheeks growing hot.

"Er, thank you." I stuttered.

As I continued to make a fool of myself in front of the boy from several nights back when I was closing the café, I couldn't help but notice the feeling of deja vu. I'm sure I knew him but as I continued to stare, I couldn't quiet place my finger where I knew him from.

"I don't think there's anything to be thankful for." He said, smiling. He had a nice smile, with a perfect pair of straight white teeth. I liked it.

On realising what he said, I felt like face planting into my hand but resisted the urge to do so.

"Sorry, my brain doesn't function well at this time in the morning." I smiled, finally remembering how to work my vocal cords.

"Boxer!" The boy shouted, reminding me of my struggle with the large dog.

It's ears perked up at the mention of it's name and the dog- Boxer- jumped off of me, and bounded towards his owner once more. The boy reached down and stroked the dog, his long fingers getting lost in its fur.

"He's just overly friendly. Too friendly for his own good."

I loved the deep tone to his voice. I could listen to it all day. Blinking, I smiled and ran a hand through my hair, wondering if I'd brushed my blond locks before running out of my room, and feeling slightly self conscious under his gaze.

"It's fine; I love dogs anyway."

Suddenly, Boxer bounded off along the grassy area, chasing the pigeons that stood at the far end. They flew into the air in a flurry, trying to escape the 'overly friendly' dog.

"You mind if I sit down?" He muttered, nodding his head to the space next to me on the bench.

I nodded, moving to make more room for him.

He walked around the bench and sat down, tucking his hands into his pockets.

"You were the girl from the other night, right?" He asked, raising a perfect brow inquisitively.

"Yeah, Rowan." I pulled my hand out of my coat pocket ad held it out to him for him to shake.

He glanced down at it for a short moment, a small smile curving the corners of his lip. Finally after several excruciatingly slow seconds, he reached out and shook my hand.

"Eli."

I was in heaven, or maybe hell. I couldn't tell. His touch was so warm and I felt an unusual flutter in my stomach. An emotion that felt odd and foreign overcame me and I wondered what was wrong with me. Everything around us blurred and seemed unclear, the only thing in focus was him. Even the background noise of Boxer barking at the birds faded and sounded subdued. And then he pulled away from my hand and everything came flooding back, overwhelmingly. I blinked, feeling dazed and stared at Eli, wondering if he felt that too.

His face was impassive, eyes becoming hard and withdrawn. Almost as though trying to be discreet, he wiped his hand on his jeans before placing them back in his pockets.

I was stunned and almost left shaking like a leaf. What was that?

"Do you have a dog?" Eli asked as I struggled to pull myself together.

I took a deep breath to steady myself, "No."

"You're out a bit early, thought Saturdays were meant to be lie-in days." He said.

I didn't want to think about my nightmares. I didn't want to remember the blood or feeling my heartbreak as though the images in my mind were real. I just wanted to forget, and Eli's question was broaching that subject.

"I always wake up this early to go for a walk." I lied.

He nodded, keeping his eyes trained up ahead. I watched him from the corner of my eyes, wondering how I'd found myself in this situation, talking to a stranger whose name I now learned was Eli, on a park bench.

"How come I've not seen you around town?" I asked curiously.

It was a relatively small town and even if I didn't know everyone, it didn't mean I didn't recognise most people. If I'd seen Eli before, I'd have never let him slip to the back of my mind.

He coughed, and let his fingers touch the messy curls that brushed the nape of his neck. I cocked my head to the side, wondering if it was a nervous habit.

"I'm just with the traveling family. We're just looking to settle down for a year or two maybe and do some work. I think some of my family go to your school?"

My heart sank. As handsome as he was, he was completely off limits. Not that I'd had a chance in the first place, but going out with him would mean the end of me- especially after what had happened at school the day before with the other gypsy kids- who I now knew to be his family. Still, my reaction was completely over the top I barely knew Eli and I doubt he would speak to me again.

"Yeah, I think I've seen them around." I muttered, staring at my hands.

"Well, it was nice to meet you Rowan, hopefully I'll see you around but I think I need to go make sure Boxer's not terrorising some other damsel in distress." Eli winked, and my heart fluttered. Like Literally.

I nodded dumbly and watched him get up from the park bench, beginning to walk away. Even his back half was attractive.

"Don't drool." He laughed without looking back.

Quickly, I lifted my palm to wipe my lip and was glad that it came back dry. Then embarrassment hit me; he knew I'd been checking him out.

Brushing the feeling of embarrassment off, I waited until Eli had disappeared out of sight with his dog before getting up myself, and heading back home, the prospects of breakfast looking bright.

****************************************************************************

"You seem in a good mood." My mum noted as she dished up my eggs on a plate.

I shovelled them into my mouth quickly, enjoying the feeling of food filling my stomach.

"Nothing wrong with being happy," I said, although I had to agree with her.

After returning home, all dark feelings from my dream had gone and I felt unnaturally happy. I couldn't help thinking that it could be due to my brief encounter with Eli, my handsome stranger.

I coughed, shocked at my own thoughts. I'd only ever spoken to him once- he wasn't 'my' anything. And with that thought, I quickly plummeted back down to earth, eating the rest of my breakfast slowly.