Chapter 3

It had been 76 days since my first encounter with the Walkers. I wasn't allowed to live with them yet, but every weekend they would pick me up for visitation.
The process of adopting would be hard and grueling, so they decided to take a different route; foster to adopt. Currently they were working on getting their fostering license, then I could actually live with them. After I was all settled in, they would take the necessary steps to adopt me. Permanently.
It was Friday, 9:06 in the morning, and I was sitting in Mr. Davis's class. He was talking about the oragraphic effect, I think. His words were a little hard to make out over my own thoughts.
This morning had been especially hard for me. I woke up late which meant breakfast was going to be gone and so would the hot water. I skipped the shower and went straight downstairs to the kitchen to see what I could salvage. I managed to get the last strip of bacon. Tabitha offered to cook me some eggs but at the rate I was going and my short legs, I was gonna miss the bus. Quickly, I scrambled to get my lunch from the fridge but my not-so-kind foster siblings trampled over me. I gave up and made my way to the bus stop. Just like my attitude, the sky was overcast. I looked back at the house one last time only to see Tabitha in the window. She forced a smile and waved. I know she cared but sometimes had the strangest ways of showing it.
I caught the bus and sat in the front row seat. It was reserved for me out of pity. The whole way to school I prayed to myself and to what ever God that was up there to please let the rest of this day go smoothly. Please.
Upon getting off the bus, I was pushed into a muddy puddle, kicked my perpetrator in the shin, and was promptly sent to the office. I didn't get a stern talking to, not even detention, just pity and a new pair of jeans that they always handed to the girls that got dress coded. There was always a pair specifically on hand for me to prevent "discrimination".
Currently I sat in Mr. Davis's class replaying the events in my head.
"Tonight," I said to myself, "Daddy is coming to get me tonight."
"Miss Johnson," I looked up at Mr Davis. How long had he been calling my name? "They need you down at the office," he said after hanging up the phone. I looked around and my classmates just stared at me like a museum exhibit. Great! I slid out of my desk as best as I could, grabbed my oversized back pack, and made my way back to the office for the second time this morning.
Upon my arrival, I was greeted by the smiling face of our secretary who diverted my attention to a suited man near the door.
"There's my girl!" said the man as he crouched down to me. It was Wyatt, I had never seen him in a suit before. His thick black hair was gelled back, beard combed through, hands properly moisturized, and suit perfectly tailored to fit his body.
"Daddy!" I could hardly contain myself as I ran into his arms. He picked me up and smiled. "You're here early I wasn't expecting you until tonight." He signed me out and we made our way to the parking lot.
"I know munchkin but daddy's got some good news," he opened the back door, sat me in my car seat and buckled me up. I sat in anticipation. He was smiling so it had to be good right?
"Where's mommy?" I asked. I was excited to see her but sometimes she would be really busy.
"She's at work but we're meeting her for lunch so don't worry. She wouldn't miss this." With that, he tilted his rearview mirror to see me in the back seat and smiled. I sat quietly in the back seat pondering on what the news could be.
When we got home daddy got me out of the car along with his briefcase and brought me inside. It was warm and the dogs started barking when they saw me. Tank tackled me and licked my face. It had only been a week since I last saw them but I was equally excited.
"Tank!" I giggled and kicked. Eventually daddy got him off of me and wiped my face with a cold baby wipe. I hated when he and mommy did that. I groaned and he playfully groaned back.
"No dog breath babies on my watch," he said just before kissing me and bringing me to my room.
It was the same nursery as their previous baby only slightly modified to my taste. I liked it, but sometimes it didn't feel right. I was 14 years old not 14 months old but other times, the closeness and total dependency was great. I never had anyone I could trust this much in my life, but did they really love me for me, or for the void I filled?
"LuLu," he said bringing me back to reality. "I'm gonna lay you down for a little nap okay, you look like you need it." He kissed me as he removed my clothing and replaced it with the babyish, powder, pink onesie. Next, he lowered me into the crib and I began to whine. "What's the matter princess?" he asked as he quickly picked me up. Since our incident at Chili's, Wyatt has always freaked out about me crying. He laid me on his chest and made his way to the kitchen where he retrieved a bottle from the fridge. "You know you gotta take a nap princess" I pouted and rubbed my eyes in discontent. "Tell you what, how about I warm up your baba, and lay you in daddy's big bed, and you can watch Bubble Guppies until it's time for lunch with mommy?"
"Guppies!" I said with a clap and a smile. Feeling satisfied, he trotted to his bedroom which was in disarray with his ties and mommy's scrubs all over the bed. It wasn't anything I hadn't seen before, in fact, it was a relief to see a mess. Tabitha's house was so clean, mommy and daddy's mess reminded me that they were human.
Carefully, he laid me down in his bed and gently pushed the bottle between my lips. I sucked contently and let out a pleasurable moan.
"That's better huh sweet pea?" I ignored him and continued to gulp down my bottle as I watched Bubble Guppies. He smiled and tiptoed down to his office without me noticing. The only thing I remember after that is waking up on a changing table, feeling soft cotton, bulging from between my legs.
Should I protest? Maybe not I mean these people are taking me in as their own, how would I have a say? It does feel kinda nice. Thoughts rolled on in my head and before I could object to anything, I was already fully dressed. I sighed and smiled at Wyatt, what more could I do?
"Cmon princess let's go see mama, don't you wanna see mama?" He cooed at me as he rubbed my tummy.
I loved Elizabeth, she loved to play in my hair and sing to me. She always knew just how to calm me down and her heart beat was always steady. She had soft, nimble fingers and often whisked them across my cheek, tenderly, before kissing me. Sometimes I liked to think that if my real mom had loved me, if I had been normal, she would've done these things to me like Elizabeth does.
I smiled up at Wyatt and replied, "Go see mama!" With that, Wyatt grabbed my diaper bag and took me to the car.
I sat quietly in the backseat and sucked my thumb. As long as I could remember it was something I had done for comfort, even now, regardless of my child like appearance.
"Okay princess we're here," said Wyatt, snapping me back to reality. I looked out the window and saw that we were in a parking lot. I kept looking around for a sign, something to read that let me know where I was when mommy parked next to us. I immediately started grinning from ear to ear and kicking my legs. "Oh someone is excited," he said as he got out of the car. Elizabeth got out too, and together they embraced each other outside of my door for what seemed like an eternity. I watched eagerly from within until finally, Elizabeth got me from the car.
"Hey pretty girl," she said as she unbuckled me and pulled me from the toddler sized car seat. "Mama missed you." I grinned and flailed my little feet as she kissed all over my face and neck.
"Looks like she missed you too," said Wyatt, grabbing the diaper bag and his briefcase.
I laid my head on mommy's shoulder and she rubbed my back. She smelt clean and still had her clothes on from the hospital. Her hair was still in a ponytail and her medical badge was around her neck.
"Wyatt has she had a nap yet?"
"Yea before we came," he retorted quickly. Mommy always kept him in check.
"Good, my baby needs to be getting her rest," with that, she kissed me and ran get fingers through my curly brown hair. I completely relaxed and together we walked into the restaurant.
"Whoa they're kinda packed, it is happy hour," daddy held the door for us and took a look around. "Would you like to go somewhere more quiet?"
"Uhm yeah how about Kenny's Wood Fire Grill?"
"Yea that's great you wanna stop home and change first?"
"If it isn't too much trouble, I really want to get out of these scrubs"
"No not a problem babe," he said walking us back to the parking lot. "We can go home, switch cars and come back out or we could stay home actually. I was thinking we could give her the news and then come back out to celebrate."
Celebrate what? Quickly I perked up and looked from mommy to daddy. Noticing my attentiveness, Daddy ruffled my curls and winked at me. Something was up, but what?