Chapter 3: Smoke and Mirrors

"Eve!'  My mother said reproachfully the moment I walked into the kitchen.  "Look at you!  You're soaking wet!"

I trotted across the white tile floor, dripping water with every step, and gave her a peck on the cheek.  "It is raining outside, in case you hadn't noticed."

"Do you mind telling me where you've been, young lady?"

"I was out riding my bike."

"In this weather?"

"It's just rain, mom.  It's not going to kill me."

"Eve, how many times do I have to tell you to come straight home after school?  I don't like you wandering around out there by yourself."

"Mom, it's fine.  This neighborhood is perfectly safe.  No one's going to abduct me or anything."

"There are predators everywhere, Eve," she looked at me again and frowned.  "And, by the way, what on earth have you done with your hair?"

I made a face.  "I know, I know.  Curly hair and rain don't mix.  There's no need to rub it in."

"No, it's not that.  It's-"

"Oooh, steak!" I said, eyeing the pink slabs of raw meat laid out on the granite counter top.

"Here now, what's this?"  My father said, appearing in the kitchen doorway.  In contrast to my mother, who is slender and golden-skinned, my father is a tall, curly-haired redhead.  "Has my daughter actually gained a suitable appreciation for a good old-fashioned barbeque?"

I grinned sheepishly.  True, I'm normally more of a stir-fry kinda girl.  But, tonight, I was really feeling the steak. 

"The usual, kid?  Medium well?"

"Actually, I think I'd like it rare tonight."

My father raised his pale eyebrows.  "All right, who are you and what have you done with my daughter?"

"I'm serious, Dad.  I want that steak still bleeding."

"Charming, Eve," my mom said.

But my father just laughed.  "All right.  I'll get those fired up you little carnivore."  He grabbed the cutting board that held the steaks and headed for the patio.

"Oh, Colin why don't you cook them on the stove?  It's pouring rain out!"

"Nonsense, dear!  You don't cook steak on the stove!  Besides, a little rain never hurt anyone."

My mother just shook her head and went back to setting the table, mumbling something along the lines of "so that's where she gets it."

While the steaks were cooking I ran upstairs to get changed, taking the steps two at a time.  You'd think I would be tired after riding my bike outside in the rain all afternoon.  Apparently not.

I tossed aside the boring school uniform I had to wear, threw on a pair of jeans and a turquoise hoody, then bounded back down the stairs.  Not long after, my father came back inside with the steaks.  The smell made my mouth water like crazy and I tore into mine with all the finesse of a lion tearing into a fresh kill.  There was a salad and potatoes on my plate as well.  I had no interest in them whatsoever.  The steak was so juicy and tender and delicious.  What did I need salad for?

"Slow down there, kido," my dad said.  "It's already dead.  It's not gonna start running away on you."

 "Dad, you know, I think you left the barbeque on."

"Did I? What makes you say that?"

"I can smell it.  I can smell the smoke."

"From all the way in here?" my mother asked skeptically.

I just shrugged and went back to my steak.

My parents exchanged looks, then my father got up and left the kitchen.  I heard the swish of the back door being opened and the soft patter of rain from outside.  When my father reappeared he was scratching his head in a bemused sort of way.

"Was it on?" My mother asked.

"Yeah, it was."

"Toldja," I swallowed my last bite of steak and shoved my chair back from the table.  "Can I be excused?"

"You haven't touched your vegetables," my mother said.

"Ah, okay fine," I wolfed down the rest of the food on my plate.  The asparagus almost made me gag--even more so than usual.  "There, now can I be excused?"

"Where are you running off to in such a hurry?"

"Umm..." I had to think about that for a moment.  I had been in such a rush to get up and do something, I hadn't paused to consider what exactly it was I wanted to do.  "I thought I'd hit the gym.  You know, I have a track meet coming up.  I need to stay in shape."

"You're going to the gym now?" my mother glanced at her watch.

"Yeah, why not?"

"How are you going to get there?  It's getting dark.  It's still raining.  And the YMCA is twenty blocks away."

I was about to say I didn't mind the weather or the walk when my dad spoke up.  "I'll drive her, Meena.  Don't worry.  She's got lots of energy tonight.  Might do her some good to burn it off."

"She's been out there on her bike all afternoon.  Surely-"

"Thanks, Dad!" I interrupted, shooting out of my chair.

"Sure thing, kiddo.  I'll just help your mother clear up and then we can go,"  he picked up his empty plate and went to deposit it in the sink.  "Oh, by the way, Eve," he ruffled the top of my head as he walked by, "nice hair."

 -------------------------------

That night, I slept like a log.  It had taken hours—hours of running and weight-lifting and swimming laps until I couldn't see straight, but finally I had worn myself out.

I fully expected to be exhausted the next morning, but to my surprise I sprang out of bed at the crack of dawn, fully energized and wide awake.  I breezed through my morning routine with none of the usual grogginess.  I didn't bother with my hair.  It would be impossible until I got in the shower.  But I made my bed, brushed my teeth, threw on some casual clothes, glanced briefly at myself in the mirror...

And froze.

What the hell?