Chapter 1 A Taste of Honey

This story starts out in Hamburg, 1960

Enjoy

Chapter 1 A Taste of Honey

The lonely corridor was dark and grim, an old flickering lamp above, the only source of light. My breath came out heavily as I leaned against the waitress I had met earlier that night, pinning her against the concrete wall. Our lips moving in rhythm with our heartbeats as I slowly laced my fingers between hers. It was hard, but I pulled myself away from her. I leaned my forehead against hers and tried to catch my breath.

"Wow," was all I could muster. My voice was only a whisper as i tried to slow down my breathing.

"Yeah, wow," she laughed and tried to lean in for another kiss but my head turned away from hers. She put her hands on both sides of my face and turned my head back towards hers so our eyes locked. Her almond brown eyes made me melt.

"Hey," she whispered calmly, "I love you."

Her last three words stunned me. All we did was fool around a little.

"Oh. Uh.." I chuckled nervously. I was never put in this position before. Usually the girls I go after don't expect a serious relationship. Casually, I rubbed the middle of her back with my thumb. This made her shiver, and I knew, made her want more. I bent down and kissed her, the taste of honey bursting into my mouth. Slowly I unhooked my lips from hers and whispered, "you should go."

She pouted, trying to get me to change my mind. I just stared down at her, hoping my eyes read that I really wanted her to stay but couldn't let her. She sighed a heavy sigh and kissed me one last time. "Maybe I'll see ya later?"

She proposed, biting her lip.

"Yeah," I said before she turned and walked off into the darkness of the never ending corridor. My gaze wandered in the opposite direction the young waitress had left.

"Oh hey Paul," John's voice made me jump and turn to where he stood in his leather jacket and tight leather pants. Behind him stood Pete and George, both wearing similar apparel. "What's eatin' ya?"

"I dunno," I said with a frown. I couldn't explain to the lads what had just happened to me and the way it made me feel. I had never had a girl tell me they loved me like that. I shook my head.

"Aye, was that bird back there with ya?" George piped up. He thrust his left thumb back in the direction the girl had gone. "Yeah," I responded unchalantly. The three went wide eyed, their jaws to the floor.

"Wow Paulie," John said, "After that-" He pointed back behind him, "you choose to be moody? You continue to puzzle me, McCartney."

"I'm not being 'moody.' I'm just tired," I tried defending myself. John gave me a suspicous look. He sighed deeply. "Well, I'd like to carry on with tonight's gig... Not if it's all the same to you that is."

John looked me one last time in the eye and turned around. "Come 'ed, men." The three of us lamely trudged after Lennon to the end of the corridor.

***

Our show ended six hours later. Sweat dripping heavily from every corner of my body, and I imagine, made me smell. I set down my bass behind the Best's drum kit and poured a pitcher of water over my head. "Good job lads," John said, taking his guitar off his shoulders. He found a cigarette in his pocket and lit it with the lighter set neatly beside the pitcher of water.

George groaned from behind John. "I need rest," he whined childishly. I suddenly felt the same way. My eyelids became heavy and started to droop. John surprised me with a sudden slap upon my back. "Aww tired already?" he mocked. I nodded sleepily. John responded with a heavy drag of his cigarette.

"I think I'm gonna hit the hay," I yawned loudly in John's face. "Aye, me too," George spoke up. George looked just as tired as I felt, his face a pale tint and dark bags beneath his brown eyes. "'Kay, I'll be exploring," John wiggled his eyebrows and gave us a mischievous grin.

George and I left the stage and headed back to our tiny room, inside the old vacant theater. Our room was tiny, cold, and dirty, not much of a room really. It felt more like a closet they forced us into. Pete was nowhere to be found after the show and we knew he probably found some bird so we didn't bother looking for him. As soon as I opened the door, George was passed out on his bunk, snoring like a trumpet. I felt suddenly wide awake as I sat down on my own bunk, right beside George's. My thoughts wondered to that girl. The one who had declared her love for me. I had honestly forgotten all about her until just then. Before that night, I had decided that I would never get into a serious relationship or tell anyone I loved them. How did this girl change my mind? I puzzled over this until the sun rose, not realizing I hadn't slept a wink.

John came noisily into the room, mumbling drunk nothings to himself, and climbed onto the bunk above George's. He looked down at me. "Hello Paulie," he said with a weak grin. John's eyes rolled back into his head as he dropped back down onto the bunk. It was suddenly quiet so I suppose he passed out. I was alone again.But the silence abruptly disappeared. John honked and weezed as George mumbled. I decided I neded an escape and would go find that girl and ask for her name. Maybe go on a date or two with her...

With a sudden jolt of excitment, I jumped from my bunk and changed into another pair of black clothes a little less sweaty than the last.Some fresh water lay on the dresser so I splashed my face to wake me up and to make my face a little less dirty. My hair was a bit of a sloppy mess but it didn't really matter. I quickly and quietly walked out of the room into the dim corridor. It seemed as if no one else in Hamburg was awake, everything was so silent. 'I think I'll start in the pub,' I thought cheerfully to myself. I couldn't wait to find her, this mystery girl.

To get another taste of honey.