Chapter Twenty Nine

Chapter Twenty Nine

I was discharged later on that day with the nurse reminding me that my body needed rest and blah, blah, blah. I sighed as I took a look at myself in the mirror. I was wearing a long-sleeved romper and some sandals. I straightened my hair then curled it with my curling wand. I just hoped my expensive as Chi Heat Protector was enough to keep my hair from heat damage. I toyed with the cross necklace that laid on my chest, twirling it around my finger. It felt even heavier now that Mario was gone. It still felt so surreal, but the scariest part was how the world just keep moving.

A honk tore me away from my thoughts. Quickly grabbing my messenger, I took the stairs two at a time. I felt like getting to the cab quicker would somehow help me save some money.

"Hey," Chris greeted.

I stood a couple of feet away from the crowd. I wasn't much of a people person. "Hey," I greeted back, brushing a couple of curls from my face. I crossed my arms across my chest and scanned the crowd.

"They're trying to start a fire, but the wind keeps putting it out," he explained when my eyes settled on the crowd. Suddenly, cheering erupted within the crowd.

"We got it guys!" Someone shouted, drawing laughs from a couple of people.

"Okay." Maria clapped her hands together. There was a guitar strapped on her; Mario's guitar. She smiled at the crowd, but I could tell she was worn out. "I want to thank you all for being here. I'm actually shocked my brother had this many friends." She chuckled lightly, but her eyes looked like they could start spilling tears at any minute. Chris stepped away, shooting me an apologetic smile before taking a couple of steps in her direction. He stood by her side and she clutched his arm, throwing a grateful smile in his direction.

"Anyone that knew him knows how much of a genuine person he was. My dad drilled a lot of morals into him so he was honest; a gentleman; playful; and when dad died he was my shoulder. I looked up to him and I will always look up to him because I know he's up there somewhere. He's too much of a kind soul, that's why God wanted him back so quick. But, we're not here to cry, we've done enough of that. Let's play his favorite songs, share our favorite memories-make fun of him even-I'm sure he'll be laughing along with us." She sat down near the fire and a couple of other people followed suit. She looked down at the guitar, adjusting it and running her fingers along its neck.

"He taught me how to play at 10. He said music was like holy water for the soul. I'm not as good as he was though." She frowned at the guitar and tried to find the correct placement for her fingers. "I do sound slightly better than he did though." Everyone laughed. I even managed to chuckle. It was no secret Mario couldn't sing. "We were raised under grey skies, but you'll never hear us complain," she started singing softly, her fingers strumming along. I didn't know the words to the song, but I recognized it. It was one of Mario's favorites because it reminded him of his dad. I leaned against the tree and hummed along.

"Oh, when you left us you didn't really go I know you're watching me from my head to my toes and I will not go without. I won't walk without you no. And truth be told everybody knows you put the food on my plate and you gave me my clothes, and I will not go without. I won't walk without you no."

A couple of people sang along, those that didn't know the words just snapped and rocked from side to side. The fire crackled in the background as the wind rustled the leaves. When she was done, she played for anyone that wanted to sing a song they knew he loved. Surprisingly, a lot of people volunteered. They sang loud and off key, with big smiles on their faces.

I could definitely see Mario hanging out and being a complete goofball with them. When everyone ran out of songs to sing, they started sharing memories and saying final words and goodbyes.