Chapter 7: Power Trip.

Friday

February 9th, 2007

4:40 p.m.

    It's been a lil over five months since Layla has officially lived full time with her mother and extended family, and to be honest, she loves it. Even though staying with her mom out in East Chicago was the last thing she wanted to do, she somehow found charm in living out there. Even though East Chicago had its downside, Layla appeared to see the beauty in being there; hell, she had no option, it's not like she could leave. It was definitely a more positive viewpoint than she had a few months ago.

     Only a few things had actually changed in her life. Layla was now visiting her family that lived back in the city. She posted up on the blocks with her kin. Stomping in the old playgrounds where her dad ran his drug trades. It was a different pace than Indiana because out in the city; The King name rang bells, whereas Indiana, they were ordinary people. Any old head around the city knew how heavy the weight the King name held in Illinois. Layla was well protected and well respected because of who her daddy was. Because of this, she reaped the benefits her father couldn't.

    As stated earlier, not much has changed in her world. Layla was still settling and getting around to living in Indiana. It had its ups and downs, but overall it was becoming more comfortable, and she was taking every day one step at a time. Another thing was she had a new boyfriend. It had just so happened that Layla took an interest in Darien and vice versa. After his 'breakup' with his 'girlfriend,' and her archenemy Kenesha the pair began to hang out, and it wasn't long before the couple started dating.

    Dating to Layla wasn't new, hell that was easy. The hard part, however, was keeping it going. Don't get it bent. She had only had a handful of boyfriends since the age of thirteen, but they weren't really on nothing. Not to place blame consistently on them because she had a part to play in the failed 'situationship,' but they were time-wasters; and that's exactly what she thought about Darien. She assumed that he was gonna waste her time and shatter her heart. The duo had been dating now for about three months, and she'd be a lie if she said she wasn't digging it. Even though she had suspicions about their 'little relationship,' she hoped he'd show her wrong.

    Ever since the young twosome made it official, they have been inseparable. Layla and Darien spent every second together. When she wasn't at school or with her family, and when he wasn't doing whatever it was that he was doing, they'd be in one another face. She was feeling comfortable and happy, and the feeling was mutual from him. Layla had Darien wrapped around her finger. There was nothing that he wouldn't do to keep her happy, and the same went for her; there was nothing she wouldn't do to keep him happy. Layla cherished that she had ascertained a boy who she could vibe with and be herself around. Darien bought out a side that all her other boyfriends couldn't; him being attractive was just a plus, and even though he was a year and a few months older, no one appeared to care. If it was okay with Layla and Darien, then why would anyone intervene?

   It was early December, and the young couple was chillin together in his vehicle out front of her home. The air outside was crisp and cold, but the heat inside the car was just right. It was late evening and dark out. With his tints, the inside of the vehicle was even darker; only the light from the radio illuminated inside.