Chapter 2.

I walked down the dingy street towards Albert's shop. i tried to keep my eyes from looking at the death around me. but i failed. i looked at the robed bodies of my neighbours, people actually stole food and ration cards from the dead people who got shot , or die on the streets and it disgusts me to think people would do that.. no matter the circumstances. i walked into the old food shop, my nose stuffing up die to all the dust, the shop is not very popular, or good quality but its always stocked unlike most others, not only do i always come here but I'm a good friend of the owner, Albert.

'' Good morning Ada, what a pleasure it is too see you.'' Albert said as i walked up the dark and dirty  counter. i put my old straw basket next to him. what he meant was - ''good morning ada, I'm glad you haven't starved to death yet.''.

'' Good morning back too you Albert, and likewise.'' i said smiling, his age was really showing. his hair was whisped with grey and he has clear and dark circles under his now dull eyes.

'' Ration card?i hate to ask but i have too, you understand right?'' he asked. i nodded i

and pulled out my Little card and showed it too him. he nodded and smiled bleakly.

'' Good Good. Here we go Ada.'' he said, putting very little food into my old basket

'' They decreased the rations again?'' i said, this was hardly enough for one small child for a matter of days at the most, let alone a fully grown adult for a week.

'' You know how it is Ada, you know, people who die.. their card, if you bring it you'll get there food.'' he said, in a whisper too me.

'' I would never do such a thing! steal from the dead, I'm surprised you would even say that Albert your a good man.'' i said, completely shocked. i tried not to look disgusted but his sorry expression told me i didn't do a very good job.

'' Your a good person Ada, I would never have said it I didn't think it would save your life, it would be terrible.'' he said. He slipped a extra small chink of cheese into my basket. I frowned at my basket, feeling bad for the children this could help, but i smiled weakly at Albert, as he did to me.

'' Good bye Ada.'' he said,wrapping his frail arms around me, i hugged him back. i nodded and stepped back into the cold streets, exposed, trying my best to ignore the bodies of my former neighbours and friends, on the streets. dead and rotting. something roughly pulled me back and i landed hard on my basket, i held my only food close to my chest as a tall man loomed over me.

'' w-what do you want?'' i stuttered, crawling back against the cold and hard bricks.

'' food.'' he said smiling, he held his hand out.

''i-i cant! this is my only food!'' i exclaimed. he only smiled and kept his hand out. '' can i keep some?'' i asked.

'' a little.. if you hand it over nicely.'' i handed him half my food and he ran off. unwanted tears fell down my pale cheeks. i got up and ran home, scared he would come back for the rest of the precious food that i have left.

________________________________________________________

please vote and tell me what you think, thanks!