Alternate Beginning 5

Please note the chapter below is a rough draft and it wasn’t edited. So all you grammar buffs, please be kind. If you notice a glaring error, just send me a note and I’ll make the correction when I have a chance.

If you haven’t read The Zeuorian Awakening as of yet, the deleted scene doesn’t contain any spoilers.

Brief Background of the Scene

This scene happens right before Lexi hits her head on the rock and passes out.

###

FROM THE MOMENT Lexi climbed onto the large rock island, she had one of those feelings something terrible was about to happen to her. She didn’t know what it was, how it would happen, or even when, she just knew that she needed to get off the rock that very second. But when her body plunged into the ocean, she knew something was wrong. The feeling she had grew stronger, which only meant one thing: she was swimming toward the danger or . . .

Her head tilted down as she gazed into the water. The late September sun only lit a foot below the surface. Scenes from the movie Jaws flashed through her mind when something brushed against her toes and bubbles rushed to the surface. She sucked in a deep breath of salt air and held it. She didn’t know what to do. Should she swim away or stay still?

Everything she read on how to avoid shark attacks said to stay calm and don’t panic. Most of the time sharks will leave without taking a bite, but what about the other times when they do bite.

A faint amber color light began to glow from the darkness of the water and her feet warmed. Several more bubbles rushed to the surface of the water. She let out her breath and relaxed her muscles. This was definitely not a shark, but where was the light coming from and why was the water growing warmer? This wasn’t right. This had to be what her premonition was warning her about. She better get out of the water before something bad happened to her. But the shore was over a mile away. It was probably best she went back to the rock.

She dove under a small wave and swam as fast as possible toward the rock to get away from whatever was developing under the water. The strange light grew brighter and brighter. Frantic bubbles surrounded her, splashing water on her face and making it difficult to see where she was going. The temperature in the water increased to the point it was scorching her skin.

A small cry of pain escaped her lips. She had to get out of the water before it boiled her alive. She lunged at the rock, a few strokes away, and grabbed hold, cutting her hand on the rough surface and froze. Her arm appeared to be glowing under the golden colored sky and the droplets of water on top of her skin transformed into steam. What the hell? She blinked a couple of times. It was her body making the water boil and not the other way around.